Azure DevOps Services: Essentials – Git with Visual Studio and VS Code
As development teams have evolved in their DevOps journey, we’re regularly asked to help with the transition to from TFVC to Git. Microsoft Unified and Premier Support offers a range of workshops covering all things DevOps. Among these is the Azure DevOps Services: Essentials – Git with Visual Studio workshop.
The Azure DevOps Services: Essentials – Git with Visual Studio WorkshopPLUS is an instructor-led training course that provides participants with the fundamental knowledge that is required to use Git with Visual Studio. It provides detailed guidance for working with version control, work items, automated builds, and deployments. Proficiency in these three areas is the key to unlocking the full potential of your software development efforts and becoming skillful with DevOps practices. There are variants of this delivery with emphasis on Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, and command line scenarios.
The outcomes of this workshop are aligned to:
- Gain proficiency in source code management with Git, unlocking the full potential of your software development efforts and becoming skillful with one of the key areas of DevOps practices.
- Understand best practices for working with Git, Visual Studio, Azure Repos, and become a successful user and collaborator using Visual Studio and Azure Repos.
- Cover recommendations and guidance on how to apply the knowledge acquired to resolve real problems at the workplace such as workflows.
- Introduction to Git
- This module provides an overview of Git and its history. It introduces the concepts of distributed and centralized version control systems. Participants are exposed to all the various tools.
- Migrating from TFVC to Git
- Discuss and demonstrate Command Mapping of TFVC to Git and the Git Staging Lifecycle for those coming from Team Foundation Version Control. Provide and overview of the various migration options for source control.
- Using Git
- Understand most used Git commands and lifecycle.
- Repos – Local and Remote
- Understand the concepts and the commands for repos and how to share code with teams. Introduce shared repos such as Azure Repos or GitHub.
- Branching and Merging
- Participants will understand how to use the flow of Git to manage work through branching and merging.
- Git Workflows
- Understand the various workflows and learn which ones will work best for your team.
- Developing and Collaborating with Visual Studio
- Use Visual Studio with Git to develop and collaborate through end to end demos and labs. Reintroduces branching and Feature workflow and new topics such as pull request.
For help scheduling a workshop for your team, reach out to your Microsoft Unified or Premier Support manager for more information.