I'm A VB: Anthony Papillion
· How long have you been using VB?
I’ve been using VB since its earliest DOS version but I left and went to C++ shortly thereafter. I came back around version 6.
· What industry do you work in?
Software development and healthcare infomatics.
· How big is your development team?
· What kind of apps do you most commonly build?
Records keeping software (electronic medical records, group home management), and some Windows Mobile applications.
· What’s the most interesting app you’ve ever built?
TweetFree, an anonymous Twitter, SMS, and Email client for Windows Mobile 6.
· Please tell us about an app that you’re working on at the moment.
Right now, I’m working on two: PhoenixEMR which is a MS Windows and SQL Server 2k8 based medical records system and PATTS which is a MS Windows and MySQL based group home management system.
· What other technologies do you most commonly use?
I use a lot of C# and, for web development, I use mostly PHP. Sometimes, I dabble in Java but it always makes me long for VB.
· What are some of your favorite VB features?
I love IntelliSense and Lambda expressions.
· What do you like most about VB as a programming language?
The language doesn’t get in my way. I can sit down and immediately become productive without having to work around the “gotcha’s” of the language. The support and attention Microsoft has given to Visual Basic over the years – and especially with .NET, also contributes to an overall incredible experience.
For other interviews in this series, please visit http://imavb.net.
Are you a VB, too? Submit your story here!