Azure Government continues to expand FedRAMP High coverage
13 new services added to FedRAMP High ATO as part of ongoing work to make commercial innovation more accessible to government agencies
Microsoft now has 80 services covered by the FedRAMP High Provisional Authorization to Operate (P-ATO) for Azure Government in the continental United States.
Why is FedRAMP compliance important?
The new era of the intelligent cloud and intelligent edge is empowering agencies to lead citizens through digital transformation. In many cases, however, government agencies must find a balance between cost efficiency and the most robust security for their IT systems.
To help agencies achieve the benefits of cloud innovation while ensuring the security of data and infrastructure, the U.S. government developed a set of standards to ensure cloud service providers protect federal data and adhere to compliance and security assessments. The Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP) provides a standardized approach to authorization, security assessment, and continuous monitoring thereby removing much of the complexity for CIOs. FedRAMP is based on the NIST SP 800-53r4; the standard for security control frameworks.
Azure Government provides the most trusted cloud for mission-critical government workloads. This environment includes a unique cloud instance, exclusively for government customers and their solution providers, and hardened US datacenters operated by extensively screened personnel.
Which new services are now in scope for FedRAMP?
- Azure Container Registry: Azure Container Registry allows you to store images for all types of container deployments including DC/OS, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, and Azure services such as App Service, Batch, Service Fabric, and others. Your DevOps team can manage the configuration of apps isolated from the configuration of the hosting environment.
- Azure Data Factory: Integrate data silos with Azure Data Factory, a service built for all data integration needs and skill levels. Easily construct ETL and ELT processes code-free within the intuitive visual environment or write your own code. Visually integrate data sources using more than 80 natively built and maintenance-free connectors at no added cost. Focus on your data—the serverless integration service does the rest.
- Azure DevTest Labs: Quickly provision development and test environments with Azure DevTest Labs, so you can efficiently self-manage virtual machines (VMs) and PaaS resources without waiting for approvals. DevTest Labs creates labs consisting of pre-configured bases or Azure Resource Manager templates. These have all the necessary tools and software that you can use to create environments.
- Azure Database for MariaDB: Easily deploy applications to the cloud using your choice of languages and frameworks. Achieve business continuity and dynamically respond to changes in customer demand with built-in high availability and elastic scaling.
- Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection: The security platform for intelligent protection, detection, investigation, and response. Microsoft Defender ATP protects endpoints from cyber threats; detects advanced attacks and data breaches, automates security incidents, and improves security posture.
- Azure Cognitive Services: Infuse your apps, websites and bots with intelligent algorithms to see, hear, speak, understand and interpret your user needs through natural methods of communication. Build apps that surface recommendations for informed and efficient decision-making. Convert speech into text and text into natural-sounding speech. Translate from one language to another and enable speaker verification and recognition. Allow your apps to process natural language with pre-built scripts, evaluate sentiment and learn how to recognize what users want.
- Computer Vision: makes it possible for apps and services to accurately identify and analyze content within images, videos, and digital ink.
- Content Moderator: Machine-assisted content moderation APIs and human review tool for images, text, and videos.
- Language Understanding: A machine learning-based service to build natural language understanding into apps, bots, and IoT devices. Quickly create enterprise-ready, custom models that continuously improve.
- Text Analytics: Detect sentiment, key phrases, named entities and language from your text.
- Translator: Easily conduct real-time text translation with a simple REST API call.
- Azure Bot Service: Develop intelligent, enterprise-grade bots that let you maintain control of your data. Build any type of bot—from a Q&A bot to your own branded virtual assistant. Use a comprehensive, open-source SDK and tools to easily connect your bot across popular channels and devices. Give your bot the ability to speak, listen, and understand your users with native integration of Azure Cognitive Services.
- Azure Event Grid: Simplify your event-based apps with Event Grid, a single service for managing routing of all events from any source to any destination. Designed for high availability, consistent performance, and dynamic scale, Event Grid lets you focus on your app logic rather than infrastructure.
Azure commercial also continues to support more services at the FedRAMP High impact level (90) than any other cloud provider. Government customers can continue to take advantage of the additional protections available in Azure Government or choose to deploy applications in Azure public regions, based on specific regulatory requirements. Our coverage of services and the rate at which we are accelerating compliance for government customers highlights our commitment to be the most trusted and certified cloud.