Microsoft VS/.NET Log Collection Tool
Using the Collect Utility
If you encounter any setup issues, we will need all relevant logs. Please follow the instructions below to collect all those logs.
- Download collect.exe from the link below.
- You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
- The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.
Reporting Setup Errors
There are several options for reporting setup errors, but you might consider first checking to see if the issue is a known issue. This will save you time and provide more immediate results. In most scenarios, there will be a link on the error page after setup completes. Clicking on this should provide a smaller log that highlights the errors encountered. To dig deeper, check out some of the tips provided on Aaron’s blog and on my blog.
If you would like to report an error, be sure to collect logs as described above and choose from the options below.
- Search or post on MSDN Forums in .NET Framework Setup or Visual Studio Setup and Installation. This is a community-driven web site on which Microsoft employees also participate.
- Report installation issues or provide feedback for Visual Studio on Microsoft Connect. You may upload logs using Connect. This allows us to view and manage bugs, and customers to vote or provide additional details in a consistent manner.
- Upload logs using Windows Error Reporting. Both the MSDN Forums and Microsoft Connect will most often provide faster help.
The following information is available from collect.exe -?:
Microsoft (R) Visual Studio/.NET Log Collection Tool version 10.0.20519.0 Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved Collect install info for Microsoft Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Note: This tool may incidentally capture information such as user or machine name, and data on non-Microsoft software. Usage: Collect <options> Most options can be shortened to their initial letter. If not otherwise specified, all accept -<opt>[:yes|no|y|n|true|false|+|-] -cab:<name> Collect logs in cabinet <name>. Default: -c:%TEMP%\vslogs.cab -dir:<dir> Collect logs from <dir>. Default: -d:%TEMP% -user:<name> Collect logs from user <name>'s temp. -time:<days> Collect logs only from the last <days> from today. Default: -t:0 Use -t:0 to collect all. -msi Collect Windows Installer logs (MSI*.log) -events Collect relevant event log entries. -sql Collect SQL installation logs. -windows Collect Windows logs: CBS, WindowsUpdate, ReportingEvents -inventory Collect inventory of items installed by Windows Installer. -io:[pfctxs][:<dir>] Inventory options. Default: -io:pfct:%TEMP% p = Products f = Features (implies p) c = Components t = .TXT format x = .XML format s = Split xml: MsiInv.Products.xml, MsiInv.Components.xml dir = Directory or file for inventory. -x:<dir> Extract files to <dir>. Use with -cab:<input cabinet file>. -xo:[lf] Extract options l = List files only. f = Flat - extract all files to same directory. -post:<dir> Post collection to <dir>. -p:yes|no = use default|suppress -pause Pause at end of run so console output can be read. -quiet Suppress console output. -nologo Suppress copyright banner.