Removing the Team Foundation Server association in Microsoft Project and Microsoft Excel files
Here’s a handy tip if you find yourself needing to disassociate or unbind a Microsoft Project (.mpp) or Microsoft Excel (.xls) file from a Team Foundation Server, perhaps because you changed the name of the server, the server no longer exists, etc.
- Close Microsoft Project
- Right click on the mpp file and choose Properties.
- Choose the Custom tab in the Properties window.
- Choose any Property listed there named “VS Team System Data Do Not Edit” and click Remove.
- Click Apply or Ok.
- Open the mpp file, and you will get a message saying its not associated with any TFS server. Click Ok and Save it.
- You will not get the error message every time you open the mpp file as long as you save it once after the message is received.
Dennis Habib, a developer for TFS, provides the following process. Since this involves editing the registry, all of the usual caveats apply.
- Close Excel.
- Disable the TFS addin by going to HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeExcelAddinsTfcOfficeShim.Connect and change the ‘LoadBehavior’ from ‘3’ to ‘0’.
- Open the .xls file.
- Wipe out the contents of the custom document properties (File -> Properties -> Custom).
- Save the file and exit Excel.
- Re-enable the TFS addin.