Feb 2024: A look at the latest Microsoft Entra key feature releases, announcements, and updates
Welcome to the Feb 2024 edition, where we bring you a comprehensive overview of the latest updates and features of Microsoft Entra. This month, we cover updates on app filters for Conditional Access policies and an array of new Public Previews, like Microsoft Entra Internet Access for all apps. Discover how these advancements can be integrated into your projects for optimal performance and security.
Dive into our ever-popular workshop recordings, stay updated with our latest news and resources, and explore in-depth articles on identity management. Whether you’re a developer or an enthusiast, the Microsoft Identity blog is your go-to resource for staying ahead in the ever-evolving world of digital identity and security.
Latest Generally Available (GA) features since December 2023
- App filters for Conditional Access (CA): Filters for apps in CA simplify policy management by allowing admins to tag apps with custom security attributes and target them in CA policies, instead of using direct assignments. This means you can apply protect any number of apps without increasing policy size when more apps are added. Workload identities can also be targeted with the new filters.
New Public Previews
App-only User.ReadBasic.All permission: In addition to the existing delegated User.ReadBasic.All permission, we now also support this as an app-only permission. With User.ReadBasic.All you can evaluate the permission needs of apps in your tenant. For those apps that require access to basic user properties only, consider granting User.ReadBasic.All instead of User.Read.All.
Microsoft Entra Internet Access for all apps: Provides a Secure Web Gateway (SWG) solution focused on identity protection for SaaS application and web traffic. It protects users, devices, and data against a wide threat landscape with best-in-class security controls and detailed insights through Traffic Logs.
Microsoft Security Service Edge – client support for Android: For both Microsoft Entra Internet Access and Microsoft Entra Private Access, we now add a client supporting Android.
News, updates, and resources
- Check out Joy Chik’s blog post on 5 ways to secure identity and access for 2024.
- New applications that support user provisioning and SSO were added to the Microsoft Entra ID app gallery in Jan 2024.
- Read the blog article on how Microsoft is disrupting the gateway services to cybercrime.
- Learn how to configure Datawiza to enable Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication and single sign-on to Oracle Hyperion EPM.
Workshop on-demand recordings
Microsoft identity platform: Explore modern authentication and authorization foundations and adding authentication to an app and learn about token customization and best practices for protecting an API.
Identity workshop: Explore what the Microsoft identity platform provides for developers, principles of modern authentication, and migrating apps from ADAL to Microsoft authentication library (MSAL).
- ICYMI: An overview of the Microsoft Entra updates for December 2023, including new single sign-on (SSO) capabilities and improved identity governance tools. Learn how to integrate these enhancements into your projects for better workflow and security management.
- Explore the building blocks of a machine identity management system in part two of a three-part series on machine identity.
- Explore the essentials of identity and access management (IAM) in the first of a series of blog posts on (C)IAM related topics. We cover key concepts, digital identity, authentication and authorization, the role of identity providers, and more.
- Check out videos from the Microsoft Azure and the Microsoft Security YouTube channels.
Stay connected and informed
This blog post aims to keep you informed and engaged with the latest Microsoft Entra developments, helping you harness these new features and capabilities in your identity development journey.
To learn more or test out features in the Microsoft Entra suite of products, visit our developer center. Make sure you subscribe to the Identity blog for more insights and to keep up with the latest on all things Identity. And, follow us on YouTube for video overviews, tutorials, and deep dives.