I'm A VB: Alex Pfrogner
· How long have you been using VB?
Approximately 5 years. I taught myself to program with it the summer before my 9th grade year.
· What industry do you work in?
Web Application Development for a custom metals company.
· How big is your development team?
· What kind of apps do you most commonly build?
Most commonly web apps, but we do some useful tools like PDF mergers and what not.
· What’s the most interesting app you’ve ever built?
A work in progress at home that you send a text to email@example.com and it will respond. !help is a good first try. This service is free of course other than standard messaging rates. It allows you people without smart phones to search google images or get language translations or get stuff spoken with a TTS engine just by texting/mms’ing.
· Please tell us about an app that you’re working on at the moment.
Of course the one I mentioned above, but also I am working on a voice controlled program to run on an old laptop to control music in my car since I can’t afford a car with Sync in it haha. And of course I’m always just working on little things. I’m also working on trying to get robot vision working with a webcam and stuff, but I’m far from that; so far it will grab and display the most prominent color in a view. By the way, I hope you’re not bothered by the obvious plug; I just would love to get more people using it.
· What other technologies do you most commonly use?
Computer, blackberry, VB.net, C#, C++, HTML, CSS.
· What are some of your favorite VB features?
IntelliSense is really handy in the actual VS program. I also just love the simplicity. I spend more time working on ideas and coding, rather than working out errors in syntax.
· What do you like most about VB as a programming language?
As I said up there, just the simplicity. You spend less time looking stuff up and more time pumping out ideas you have.
For other interviews in this series, please visit http://imavb.net.
Are you a VB, too? Submit your story here!