What are developers building with Azure Cosmos DB?
Developers are building top-notch, modern applications with Azure Cosmos DB, using incredible performance at any scale to power different use cases across industries. Rather than just saying it, we thought we’d show you a breakdown of how customers are using Azure Cosmos DB based on customer usage trends.
Looking at the data, we found that:
- 40% of developers ingest and run OLTP queries over time-series data
- 25% store and manage customer profiles for real-time personalization
- 22% create event stores (using Azure Cosmos DB’s change feed) to power real-time microservices
- 14% build chat bots or store chat message history for AI workloads
- 11% develop product catalogs
- 11% manage orders and transactions
Customers are realizing significant scale, with Azure Cosmos DB handling more than a million scale up/down changes per day thanks to its instant and limitless elasticity.
Additionally, due to elasticity improvements, customers are seeing a 20% YoY improvement in cost/performance.
In terms of performance and latency, a benchmark study run by Principled Technologies (PT) found that Azure Cosmos DB delivered lower latency at a lower solution cost than competitors. In Yahoo! Cloud Serving Benchmark (YCSB) tests run by PT, Azure Cosmos DB provided lower latencies in most cases compared to Amazon DynamoDB, with benchmarks showing consistent performance of:
- ~2ms point reads and ~8m point writes at 95th percentile latency
- ~3ms point reads and ~9ms point writes at 99th percentile latency
(Tested ranges include 10K operations/sec, 30K operations/sec, 50K operations/sec, and 1M operations/sec).
The numbers indicate the immense scaling power and performance of Azure Cosmos DB, built to handle unusually large workload requirements.
So, what will you build with Azure Cosmos DB? Drop us a note in the comments!
About Azure Cosmos DB
Azure Cosmos DB is a fully managed and serverless distributed database for modern app development, with SLA-backed speed and availability, automatic and instant scalability, and support for open source PostgreSQL, MongoDB and Apache Cassandra. Try Azure Cosmos DB for free here. To stay in the loop on Azure Cosmos DB updates, follow us on Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn.