Team Foundation Server and Visual Studio Team Services roadmap update
Today we are making a major update to our “Features Timeline” for TFS and VSTS. To remind you, the Features Timeline provides an indication of some of the bigger, higher demand things we are working on and when we think they will be delivered – both on premises in TFS and in the cloud in VSTS (formerly VS Online).
A few caveats…
- It doesn’t represent everything we are doing – just some of the most highly demanded things. We’ll continue to provide detailed release notes with every deployment/release.
- As with any prediction of the future some things may not turn out as we imagine.
Right now the approach we’re taking with this is to update the roadmap about every 3 months and to project about 6 months ahead. There are other forums – blog posts, conference presentations, sales engagements, etc. where we provide higher level, more directional roadmaps that go further out.
The Feature Timeline is intended to augment our UserVoice site. UserVoice is still the best way to make, review and vote on suggested improvements to the product. We try to keep it up to date but the Feature Timeline provides a more compressed, and organized view of the investments we are making. You should find many of the high vote UserVoice items on it.
If I reflect on the version of the roadmap we published in the fall, we have completed almost everything on it. 3 things did not complete and you will see all 3 of them on the updated feature timeline with updated delivery timeframes.
- Build v.next support for gated checkin – Was Q4 and Update 2, now Q1 and Update 2.
- SSH support and Windows credential helper for Git – We delivered the Windows credential helper and SSH is now Q1 and Update 2.
- SOC certification – Was Q4, now Q1.
Please check out the updated feature timeline and let us know what you think. We’ve tried to provide linked blog posts or UserVoice items for things where additional explanation would be valuable. If you have more questions, please speak up and we can provide more detail.