Happy holidays 2016
Today is my last day in the office for the year. I just want to take a moment to say thank you to everyone who reads my blog and engages on TFS and VS Team Services. It’s great working with all of you.
Overall, it’s been a good year. We shipped TFS 2015 Update 2 and 3 and TFS 2017. We continued our tradition of substantial Team Services updates every sprint. Overall service stability improved over the year (knock on wood), though we certainly had a few rough patches and learned how to improve from them. As I reflect over it, I’m proud of what we have accomplished and I hope you all like it.
Some of my favorite highlights from this year include:
- The marketplace became real and now has hundreds of really useful extensions – for both Team Services and TFS. New extensions are published almost every day.
- Package management shipped with both Nuget and NPM support and Maven on the way.
- Code search shipped, making it easy to search your entire code base with semantic understanding for common languages.
- The new release management service went from promising approach to really powerful release orchestration across almost any app type and platform.
- The pull request experience is now really awesome! Improved UX, policies, iterations and more.
- Our Java support really became first class with improvements across the board – IDE integration, build and release tasks, test integration, Jenkins integration, etc.
- Great improvements in our build reports – integrating test results, code coverage and more.
- The web based test experience became a viable alternative to the rich client.
- Good progress on the new work item customization experience.
- Good progress on a UX refresh to improve consistency, modernize the look and reduce clicks and navigation overhead, along with lots of performance improvements.
- A new import service to bring TFS project collections into Team Services and our first set of really large enterprise customers (other than ourselves) on the service and happy.
And this is just a small sampling. Check out our release timeline to see more. I’m very much looking forward to 2017 being another great year.
I wish you all happy holidays and a great beginning to the new year. I look forward to chatting with you again in January. I’ll monitor blog comments on and off over the next 10 days but expect I’ll be a bit slower than usual.