Announcing Xamarin.Android 9.0 (P) Preview
Update: Android 9.0 stable support is now available.
Android 9.0 (P) introduces many features such as Wi-Fi RTT(Round-Trip-Time), Display cutout support, Notification enhancements, Multi-camera support, and much more.
We’re excited to announce Xamarin.Android support for Android 9.0 (P) in our latest preview release of Xamarin.Android for both Visual Studio 2017 and Visual Studio for Mac.
Installing Xamarin.Android for Android 9.0 (P)
Visual Studio 2017
- Open the Visual Studio Installer, and download the latest Visual Studio 2017 Preview (15.8 Preview 5).
Visual Studio for Mac
- Switch the Visual Studio for Mac Update Channel to the Beta channel.
- Download Xamarin.Android 184.108.40.206 and install the update.
Both Visual Studio 2017 and Visual Studio for Mac
Install the Android P 9.0 SDK
- Visual Studio 2017, use Tools > Android > Android SDK Manager
- Visual Studio for Mac, use Tools > SDK Manager
First, make sure you are using Google’s repository within the SDK Manager to do this, click on the Gear > Repository > Google:
Install the latest Android SDK tools for API 28. This includes build-tools and platform-tools.
Once installed, you’ll be able to set your Target Framework Version to Android 9.0 (P) in your project and take advantage of the new APIs:
For more detailed information on how to get started with Android P, please see our documentation.