I'm A VB: Soumya Sengupta
· How long have you been using VB?
· What industry do you work in?
HR/Financial software development.
· How big is your development team?
· What kind of apps do you most commonly build?
Windows desktop/distributed applications in an n-tier model with various back-end platforms.
· What’s the most interesting app you’ve ever built?
It’s hard to single out the ONE application that was the most interesting. I have had interesting chunks of work over several applications over the years.
· Please tell us about an app that you’re working on at the moment.
I’m currently working on a complete warehouse management system, integrated with a parallel financial system. This project has been a cool learning experience because it is part of a migration from legacy HP3000-VB6 systems to VB.NET-SQL systems. I learned a lot about portability, scaling and COM Interoperability issues.
· What other technologies do you most commonly use?
I use C# alongside of VB.net.
· What are some of your favorite VB features?
VB.NET has all the classical OOP features, all of which I like. I would have loved it if it let us into some of the unmanaged world as well.. as well a little easier interfacing with the Windows API. But we have come a long way since VB 4.0 🙂
· What do you like most about VB as a programming language?
Its simplicity of syntax, not fussing about case, IntelliSense and a lot more. I also like that it is the language of choice for automating Office, and writing macros or add-ins.
For other interviews in this series, please visit http://imavb.net.
Are you a VB, too? Submit your story here!