I'm A VB: Duncan Jones
· How long have you been using VB?
I started with VB3 in 1992, having got hooked on programming thanks to BBC Basic in the preceding years.
· What industry do you work in?
· How big is your development team?
· What kind of apps do you most commonly build?
Financial reconciliation and risk management applications on WinForms.
· What’s the most interesting app you’ve ever built?
A printer usage monitoring application, which is now hosted up on CodePlex and CodeProject.
· Please tell us about an app that you’re working on at the moment.
A Broker Rec tool that maps broker files in a range of formats (Excel, CSV, XML and so on) to a source file and raises alerts for any differences (breaks) encountered.
· What other technologies do you most commonly use?
SQL Server, Oracle.
· What are some of your favorite VB features?
XML Literals are absolutely magic.
· What do you like most about VB as a programming language?
The readability. Whenever I have a query I can show a fund accountant the actual code and we can work off that even though they often don’t have any programming experience.
For other interviews in this series, please visit http://imavb.net.
Are you a VB, too? Submit your story here!