Weekend Scripter: Announcing WMI Explorer 2.0
Summary: Microsoft senior support escalation engineer, Vinay Pamnani, talks about WMI Explorer 2.0.
Microsoft Scripting Guy, Ed Wilson, is here. Today I am pleased to invite back Microsoft senior support escalation engineer, Vinay Pamnani, who supports Configuration Manager. He’s here to talk about the latest edition of his WMI Explorer tool. Take it away Vinay…
I’m excited to announce that WMI Explorer 2.0 is now available for download from CodePlex: WMI Explorer. Special thanks to Tim Helton for his guidance and support.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 (Web Installer) or .NET Framework 4.5.1
- Minimum display resolution: 1024 x 768
- Administrator rights to view some WMI objects
- (Optional) Internet access for automatic update checks
New features include:
- Asynchronous mode for enumeration of classes and instances in the background
- Method execution
- System Center Configuration Manager (SMS) mode
- Property tab, which shows properties of a selected class
- Input and output parameter information with Help on the Methods tab
- List view output mode for query results
- Update notifications when a new version of WMI Explorer is available
- Ability to connect to multiple computers at the same time
- Quick filter for classes and instances
- User preferences
- View WMI Provider process information
In addition, the following features have been improved:
- UI display on higher scaling levels and resolution
- Connect As option to provide alternate credentials
- Display of embedded object names in Property grid
Note This is not an official Microsoft tool, and it is available “as is” with no support.
I invite you to follow me on Twitter and Facebook. If you have any questions, send email to me at email@example.com, or post your questions on the Official Scripting Guys Forum. See you tomorrow. Until then, peace.
Ed Wilson, Microsoft Scripting Guy