The week in .NET – .NET Core, ASP.NET Core, EF Core 1.1 – Docker – Xenko
To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – Mitch Muenster – Stateless.
.NET Core, ASP.NET Core, EF Core 1.1, VS for Mac Preview, VS 2017 RC, SQL Server on Linux, Tizen, Google joins .NET Foundation, and Microsoft becomes a Linux Foundation platinum member
This week, at the Connect(); // 2016 event, we made a number of announcements, including Visual Studio 2017 RC, Visual Studio for Mac Preview, SQL Server on Linux Preview, .NET Core 1.1, Entity Framework Core 1.1, ASP.NET Core 1.1, Samsung adopts .NET in their Tizen OS, Google joins the .NET Foundation, and Microsoft becomes a Linux Foundation platinum member. Check out the announcement posts for all the details.
Last week, Michael Friis and Glenn Condron were on the show to talk about Docker and .NET:
This week, we’ll speak with Chad Z. Hower a.k.a. Kudzu to talk about Cosmos, an operating system “construction kit” built with the IL2CPU compiler, C#, and X#, a homebrew language that’s part of the project. This week, because of the Thanksgiving week-end, the show is exceptionally on Wednesday, and begins at 10AM Pacific Time on YouTube. We’ll take questions on the video’s built-in chat.
Package of the week: mahapps.metro
Tool of the Week: Xenko
Xenko is an open-source C# game engine that comes with a full toolchain and development environment.
Xenko’s new Script Editor Preview brings complete integration of script code in the Game Studio.
User group meeting of the week: Cognitive Services, AI as an API in Burlington, MA
The New England Microsoft Developers group holds a meeting on Thursday, December 1 at 6:30PM in Burlington, MA about Microsoft Cognitive Services and how they give easy access to sentiment analysis, speech recognition, picture and video tagging, search, spell check, and more.
- Announcing .NET Core 1.1 by Rich Lander.
- Announcing Entity Framework Core 1.1 by Rowan Miller.
- Announcing .NET Core Tools MSBuild “alpha” by Rich Lander.
- Tizen .NET Developer Preview by Dong-hyun Lee.
- Google Cloud to join .NET Foundation Technical Steering Group by Chris Sells.
- Microsoft Fortifies Commitment to Open Source, Becomes Linux Foundation Platinum Member by the Linux Foundation.
- Live Unit Testing in Visual Studio 2017 RC by Joe Morris.
- Put a .NET Core App in a Container with the new Docker Tools for Visual Studio by Jeffrey T. Fritz.
- Lucene.NET status update (October ’16) by Itamar Syn-Hershko.
- Xamarin.Forms and .NET Core are the future for Tizen and a great new opportunity for .NET developers by Maher Jendoubi.
- Waf DotNetPad has been updated for C# 7 and VB 15.
- Making ConcurrentDictionary GetOrAdd thread safe using Lazy by Andrew Lock.
- Concurrent conditional deletes by Szymon Kulec ‘Scooletz’.
- Refactor That Code! Get those database calls out of your controllers by Joe Petrakovich.
- Troubleshooting Installing .NET Core 1.1 RTM on macOS by Shayne Boyer.
- Using .NET Core Configuration with legacy projects by Ben Foster.
- Fat Controller CQRS Diet: Command Pipeline by Derek Comartin.
- I like my performance unsafely by Ayende Rahien.
- Extending the dotnet core cli: introducing dotnet-prop by Simone Chiaretta.
- The semantics of ILogger.BeginScope() by Nicholas Blumhardt.
- Framework Benchmarks Round 13 by TechEmpower.
- Extending Identity in IdentityServer4 to manage users in ASP.NET Core by Damien Bod.
- Step by step: Expose ASP.NET Core over HTTPS with Docker by Carlos Mendible.
- Troubleshooting ASP.NET Core 1.1.0 install problems by Andrew Lock.
- Start using Dependency Injection with ASP.NET Core by Jon Hilton.
- Dockerizing Nerd Dinner: Part 2, Connecting ASP.NET to SQL Server by Elton Stoneman.
- The Advanced Uses of Razor Views in ASP.NET MVC by Dino Esposito.
- What’s new in F# 4.1 (video), by Phillip Carter.
- F# Suave app on dotnet core on Kubernetes on Google Cloud, by Tomas Jansson.
- Using Blobs in Azure Functions with F#, by Mark Heath.
- F# and .NET Core preview3 (msbuild fsproj vs2017rc) is wip but ok.
- Let’s Play with Azure Functions, by Luke Merrett.
New F# language proposals:
- Shorthand notations for the if expressions.
- Reverse selection and slice operators.
- Allow Getters and Setters for Primitive Types To Validate and Coerce Values.
- Allow Getters and Setters for Record Field Validation.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Connect(); Keynote Releases by Adrian Murphy.
- Microsoft Connect(); 2016 Recap by Joseph Hill.
- Introducing Visual Studio Mobile Center (Preview) by Nat Friedman.
- Announcing the new Visual Studio for Mac by Miguel de Icaza.
- Xamarin Test Cloud Announcements at Microsoft Connect(); by Justin Raczak.
- The Next Generation of HockeyApp by HockeyApp Team.
- Live Webinar | Get Started with Xamarin and Microsoft Azure & Webinar Recording | Scale Your Mobile Quality: Industry Benchmarks and Testing Best Practices by Courtney Witmer.
- Android Nougat Quick Setting Tiles & Getting Started With & Learning C# by James Montemagno.
- App Shortcuts in Xamarin on Android 7.1 by Jonathan Dick.
- Cognitive Services – Seeing the World with Xamarin and Microsoft Computer Vision APIs by Alessandro Del Sole.
- What’s Coming in Xamarin.Forms 2.3 by Mathieu Savaria.
- Platform Specifics – Xamarin.Forms 2.3.3 Look Ahead by Matthew Soucoup.
- Platform Specifics in Xamarin Forms by Adam Pedley.
- Talk with Rui Marinho XLabs Founder and Xamarin.Forms Developer by Michael Ridland.
- Firebase Cloud Messaging in Xamarin.Android by Tomasz Cielecki.
- Xamarin User Interface Testing for Android Apps & Mobile Testing in the Xamarin Test Cloud by Noel Rice.
- ReactiveUI v7.0.0 released by Geoffrey Huntley.
- Bindable Native Views – Xamarin.Forms 2.3.3 Look Ahead by Matthew Soucoup.
- Xamarin Android – Proguard by Jon Douglas.
- The DocumentDB client API now supports .NET Core.
- Announcing general availability of Azure Functions by Yochay Kiriaty.
- How to deploy to Azure Functions using GitHub, How to organize types in your Azure Function scripts, and Fan out workloads in Azure Function Apps by James Chambers.
- Using Azure Functions as glue between Octopus deploy and Microsoft Teams Channel by David De Sloovere.
- Visual Studio Tools for Unity 3 Preview by Jb Evain.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET? We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.