Tabbed Console starts here
[2018-06-29: Important Note: As announced in the release notes for Windows 10 Insider build 17704, Sets and Tabs will NOT ship in the next mainstream release of Windows (codenamed RS5). Please read the first bullet under the heading “General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC” for more details.]
[2018-04-16: Updated to better reflect “Sets” terminology]
In Windows 10 Insider build 17618, the first taste of the new “Sets” feature built by the Windows Shell team (thanks all!) has arrived. Sets allow users to group multiple apps together, and switch between them using “tabs” in the title-bar. You can read more about tab sets in the Windows 10 Insiders build 17618 announcement post.
The new “Sets” UX is being applied liberally to many Windows apps and tools, including File Explorer, and … in our case … Windows Console! 🙂
So what does the Sets-enabled Console look like?
In the screenshot below, you can see that the PowerShell Console has one tab in the title-bar, indicating that this set contains one member app! To the right of this tab, is a + button that you can click to create a new tab (alternatively, you can create a new tab by hitting WIN + CTRL + T).
Here are a few keyboard shortcuts you can try out:
- Ctrl + Win + Tab – switch to next tab
- Ctrl + Win + Shift + Tab – switch to previous tab
- Ctrl + Win + T – open a new tab
- Ctrl + Win + W – close current tab.
- The Tabbed Console feature is very new and not yet finished!
- Currently, when you hit the new tab button (or hit WIN + CTRL + T), you’ll see a “new tab” page
- We’re working with the Shell Tabs team to populate the new tab page with useful links in future builds and we’d love to hear your thoughts & suggestions
- Please, submit Tabbed Console feedback via the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app (Desktop Environment –> Sets*) which will routed your feedback directly to the Shell team!
- Please DO NOT file tabbed Console bugs on the Console team’s GitHub issues page
Thanks in advance for your support & feedback! We look forward to hearing from you!