New fully managed SQL and reserved storage for Azure Government customers
Azure Gov Team
Modernize your workloads more easily and cost-effectively with new Azure Government options including Azure SQL Managed Instance, Azure Dedicated Host and Azure Storage Reservations.
Azure SQL Database Managed Instance
Accelerate your on-premises SQL Server migrations without changing the application code with Managed Instance. Always have the latest SQL Server capabilities in the cloud with an evergreen SQL database that requires no patching or upgrading from you. Use the Azure Hybrid Benefit for industry leading TCO.
The managed instance deployment model allows existing SQL Server customers to lift and shift their on-premises applications to the cloud with minimal application and database changes. At the same time, the managed instance deployment option preserves all PaaS capabilities (automatic patching and version updates, automated backups, and high-availability), reducing management overhead and TCO.
This image depicts communication in an Azure SQL Database managed instance. It also describes connectivity architecture and how the components direct traffic to the managed instance.
Azure SQL Database Managed Instance & database resources:
- Azure SQL managed instance documentation
- How to use a managed instance in Azure SQL Database
- Managed instance T-SQL differences, limitations, and known issues
Virtual Machines: Azure Dedicated Host
Azure Dedicated Host provides physical servers that host one or more Azure virtual machines. Your server is dedicated to your organization and workloads—capacity isn’t shared with other customers. This host-level isolation helps address compliance requirements. As you provision the host, you gain visibility into (and control over) the server infrastructure, and you determine the host’s maintenance policies.
Reserving the entire host provides the following benefits:
- Provides visibility into, and control over, the server infrastructure running your Azure VMs
- Helps address compliance requirements by deploying your workloads on an isolated server
- Lets you choose the number of processors, server capabilities, VM series, and VM sizes within the same host
- Offers pricing and benefits for Windows Server and SQL Server available only on Azure
A host group is a resource that represents a collection of dedicated hosts. You create ahost group in a region and an availability zone and add hosts to it.
Dedicated Host Resources
- Azure Dedicated Hosts documentation, quickstarts and how-to guidance
- An introduction to Azure Dedicated Hosts (Azure Friday video)
Azure Reservations help you save money by committing to one-year or three-years plans for virtual machines, Azure Blob storage or Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2, SQL Database compute capacity, Azure Disk Storage, Azure Cosmos DB throughput, or other Azure resources. Committing allows you to get a discount on the resources you use. Reservations can significantly reduce your resource costs up to 72% on pay-as-you-go prices. Reservations provide a billing discount and don’t affect the runtime state ofyour resources.
Azure Storage Reservations resources
- Azure Reservations documentation & how-to guides
- Azure Reservations product page
- You can buy a reservation in the Azure portal
- Cost Management on Azure Government (video)
- Overview of Azure Databases for MySQL in Azure Government (video)
- Overview of Cosmos DB on Azure Government (video)