Join Hacktoberfest at the Xamarin Community Toolkit
You may have heard about the Xamarin Community Toolkit by now. This toolkit will be an important part of the Xamarin.Forms ecosystem during the evolution to .NET 6. Now is the time to contribute since it is “Hacktoberfest” after all!
What is the Xamarin Community Toolkit?
Since Xamarin.Forms 5 will be the last major version of Forms before .NET 6, we wanted to have an intermediate library that can still add value for Forms in the meanwhile. However, why stop there? There is also a lot of converters, behaviors, effects, etc. that everyone is continually rewriting. To help avoid this, we consolidated all of those into the Xamarin Community Toolkit.
This toolkit already has a lot of traction and support from our wonderful community, but there is always room for more! Lucky for us, that time of year which makes contributing extra special is upon us again.
For Hacktoberfest we welcome you all to join us and plant that tree (new reward by Hacktoberfest!) or earn that t-shirt while giving some of your valuable time to our library. On top of that, we will offer some swag whenever you decide to contribute. When you do, we will reach out to you near the end of October and if your PRs are eligible to make sure we get your details. That means: no need to do anything special, just crush that code!
How to Get Involved?
- Head over to the Xamarin Community Toolkit repository.
- Find an issue you want to work on and comment that you will be taking responsibility for that issue. It might be that your issue is not on there yet, please feel free to add it.
- Please await confirmation of your issue, which typically happens within 24 hours.
- Socialize your new issue on Twitter with the hashtag #XamarinCommunityToolkit
A couple things to note:
- We appreciate any and all contributions. However, fixing typos, “README”s, or similar documents does NOT count towards a rewardable contribution.
- All pull-requests should be opened between October 2nd – November 1st, 2020.
- Have questions? Just ask! Feel free to contact us through the Discord server. You can also reach out directly on Twitter: @jfversluis. Additionally, you can open an issue.
Anything that substantially improves the quality of the product. It should be more than fixing typos.
Approved Items of Work
Any open “bug” issue that has been verified, or enhancement spec that has some indication it is approved. If you have any question, please contact us.
Since the Toolkit was launched recently, we apologize in advance if some of the issues are mislabeled. If you are unsure about anything, just comment and a member of our team will reach out with guidance.
Thank you so much for your interest, we look forward to all of your great contributions this year!
I hope I find issues I’m knowledgeable enough to tackle. My experience with Xamarin.Forms is not so much but my journey with it so far has been awesome. Can’t wait to contribute.
Sure you are! Just start small to get the hang on how to do things and then pick up something bigger. You got this! Let me know if you need anything.
Hi Emmanuel. Lolade here. Based in Lagos? Can we form a Xamarin Naija group n collaborate