I'm A VB: Macario F. Pedraza
· How long have you been using VB?
Since 1993, starting with VB3, but used QuickBasic before that and started programming in BASIC in 1981 (yeah I know, I’m old)
· What industry do you work in?
· How big is your development team?
· What kind of apps do you most commonly build?
Mostly infrastructure/framework apps, anything that simplifies programming (I hate doing things twice)
· What’s the most interesting app you’ve ever built?
An O/R mapper/code generator using XML defined templates, also a BPM Workflow framework
· Please tell us about an app that you’re working on at the moment.
In developing a BPM framework, I’ve created a data structure that I call a PropertyTree that is a kind of PropertyBag with integrated data validation and events that is used to support custom fields in data rows as well as cllient/server comunication.
· What other technologies do you most commonly use?
SQL Server most commonly, although I’m hopping on the Silverlight, LINQ, .Net RIA Services bandwagon
· What are some of your favorite VB features?
Parameterized Properties, C# 3.0 doesn’t seem to have them
· What do you like most about VB as a programming language?
I like that it is a very high-level language that lets me express ideas in a very natural way without having to translate those ideas into funky punctuation marks like “other” languages (I’m looking at you C#)
For other interviews in this series, please visit http://imavb.net.