I'm A VB: Júlio Ködel
· How long have you been using VB?
BASIC since 1986, Visual Basic since 1995.
· What industry do you work in?
(Really) Generic Software Development
· How big is your development team?
· What kind of apps do you most commonly build?
Development frameworks, as a back-office (like services) or critical solutions (performance, for example)
· What’s the most interesting app you’ve ever built?
A reverse engineering on a 70’s mainframe to integrate a Coldfusion website with it, using a queue and n clients made in vb.net to process that queue, manipulate the mainframe system and the credit card payment.
· Please tell us about an app that you’re working on at the moment.
A workgroup software with some interesting features like video conference and live web casts in a browser window without any extra software, connecting Adobe Flex technologies with a SOA made in vb.net.
· What other technologies do you most commonly use?
Adobe Flex 3
· What are some of your favorite VB features?
All of them? =D VB works in the “common way”. I just need to type a _ on the end of the line in some rare ocasions, insted of C# that needs ; in all ocasions. I can handle an event just by a keyword in the end of the line (so, I don’t need to erase 3+ lines of code if I decide not to use it anymore). I can do optional parameters instead of writing tons of overloads… I can make properties with parameters (mid$ for the win), there are maaaaany things that make VB simply RAD! 🙂
· What do you like most about VB as a programming language?
It’s easy, it’s RAD, it’s logical (don’t need to remember what the frack is private ~Something()). Programming is 100% logic, why use an illogic programming language? 😉
For other interviews in this series, please visit http://imavb.net.