I'm A VB: Chris G. Williams (VB MVP)
· How long have you been using VB?
I’ve been using VB since version 3.0, way back in 1993. It was love at first sight.
· What industry do you work in?
Software Consulting. We serve pretty much every industry.
· How big is your development team?
It varies from project to project, anywhere from 1 to many, with local and offshore components.
· What kind of apps do you most commonly build?
Web, Windows, Services, Games, all of the above. As a consultant, I get called upon to build a pretty broad variety of things.
· What’s the most interesting app you’ve ever built?
I’m not one to pick favorites, since each has had its own set of challenges, but the VB/XNA stuff I’ve been doing has been a lot of fun. If I had to pick one, it would be my pet RPG project: Heroic Adventure! that I’ve been working on for a few years now. I started it in VB.NET 2003 and it’s still going strong.
· Please tell us about an app that you’re working on at the moment.
I’m building a MVC application that does reporting with some 3rd party components and we’re also using quite a bit of JQuery. It’s proven to be an interesting challenge getting all the pieces working together properly.
· What other technologies do you most commonly use?
If Microsoft makes it, I’ve probably used it at some point on a project, although I use other stuff too. The open source community has some great tools. I’ve been using MVC and JQuery a lot lately.
· What are some of your favorite VB features?
I’m not sure I can narrow it down to just one favorite, but I think XML Literals are pretty sexy, and LINQ is pretty awesome as well.
· What do you like most about VB as a programming language?
Ease of use, familiarity, and how easy it is to jump into someone else’s code and quickly figure out what’s going on.
For other interviews in this series, please visit http://imavb.net.
Are you a VB, too? Submit your story here!