Microsoft Teams webinar APIs in public preview
Microsoft Teams supports multiple types of scheduled real-time voice and video experiences, such as meetings, webinars, and townhalls. Experiences such as meetings, webinars and live events are used to reach large audiences of 1,000+ attendees and provide additional control for the meeting organizer over the conversation and participants.
Earlier this year, we shared details on the public preview of the new webinar APIs in Microsoft Graph to get and monitor webinar data. Webinars are not simply bigger meetings. They are uniquely important moments for an organization that bring together employees and customers.
For many webinars, success requires proactive, customized marketing and engagement of potential attendees that maximizes reach and participation. The webinar APIs allow line-of-business applications or multi-tenant ISV solutions to access the data they need.
Key use cases for Graph APIs
Here are some popular use cases for webinar APIs:
- Sales and Marketing (Lead Management Platforms): Teams is the go-to platform to host mid-to-large size customer events. With webinar APIs users can track event ROI, to demonstrate that the webinar delivered sales results by understanding how many attendees of the meetings ended up buying the product. With your event data in a Marketing Automation tool, you can use lead scoring/management system to help sales and marketing prioritize and target high potential sales prospects.
- Learning Management Systems: There is an increased demand from organizations to host large scale digital training sessions online using Microsoft Teams Events platform. Organizers want the ability to track who registered and attended the training in their Learning Management Systems (LMS). Organizers can use this data in their LMS to track training completion metrics in one tool.
- Compliance Management Systems: Organizations that host large-scale events often want to send the registrant and attendance information to a central data store. The most common purpose of this is for analytics/BI needs or compliance related tracking of who registered, canceled, or attended our event. Using these APIs, organizations can send data to any central datastore for record keeping or analytics purposes.
Each use cases uses the webinar APIs to enable the following calls:
- Get all the webinars in a Microsoft Teams Tenant, the registrants for a webinar, and the attendance report for a webinar.
- Notify me when someone registers for the event, cancels their registration, and when the organizer updates the date and time of the event.
The current set of APIs are only available for webinar event types. They are currently in Beta with a planned General Availability date of mid-December. There are two types of Graph APIs that we have exposed for the customers to consume, GET APIs and notifications:
‘GET’ APIs return event details:
- Get a webinar.
- Get a session.
- List all sessions from a webinar.
- Get registration info.
- List all registration records in a webinar.
- List all webinars created in a tenant.
- List all webinars for organizer/co-organizer.
*Documentation for the APIs can be found here.
Notifications APIs notify the application when a change occurs when:
- Webinar created.
- Webinar is updated.
- Registration notifications for a webinar (registered/cancelled).
- Webinar session notification.
*Documentation for the notifications can be found here.
The diagram above shows the high-level architecture of how any 3rd party App will be utilizing these APIs to integrate with or Graph Webinar APIs.
For more information about other Microsoft Teams APIs, see Use the Microsoft Graph API to work with Microsoft Teams – Microsoft Graph beta | Microsoft Learn
- Visit our Microsoft 365 Dev Center.
- Follow us on Microsoft 365 Developer (@Microsoft365Dev) / X for the latest news and announcements.