Visual Studio Unit Test Generator v1 “lands”
The ALM Rangers are pleased to announce the landing of the Visual Studio Unit Test Generator v1.
Looking for unit test code generation?
The Visual Studio Unit Test Generator helps to increase developer productivity by decreasing the setup work involved in creating new unit tests. It takes away the routine test creation tasks allowing a developer to focus on the highest value, writing the test itself.
Visual Studio Unit Test Generator provides the ability to generate and configure a test project, test class, and test stub to enable you to get to write your test sooner. It provides a set of configuration options that allow you to tailor the generation to match your naming and organization schemes. It is also fully configurable to support MSTest, XUnit, and NUnit so that you can choose the framework that is most suitable in your environment.
The team embraced the following principles when they designed and developed the extension:
- Achieves a moderate amount of restoration of Visual Studio 2010 feature functionality.
- Replaces and does not resurrect the old feature.
- Supports .NET MS-Test, NUnit and XUnit Test Frameworks and generation of VB/C# test code.
- Presents a "reference implementation" of how to do this for a particular test framework.
- Provides a basic infrastructure and an extension point.
- It focuses on project and reference management and not on code generation.
Message from our product owner Joshua Weber
The Visual Studio Unit Test Generator Rangers team has done an outstanding job landing this extension for Visual Studio. This extension to Visual Studio will provide a nice productivity boost for developers who work heavily with unit testing. This feature continues the work of VS2012 by allowing the developer to choose the framework and unit test style they most prefer. This extension will help a developer focus on the important part of unit testing, writing the actual test, and automate much of the setup work that happens when creating unit tests.
This is the team that made this solution a reality. It is important to emphasise that they all invested their personal family time to work on this adventure part-time, after-hours, around the globe, as one virtual team … thank you team!
Please send candid feedback!
Which features do you need in the next version? What do you like and dislike in the current version?
We can’t wait to hear from you, and learn more about your experience using the add-in. Here are some ways to connect with us:
- Ask a question on the respective CodePlex discussion forum.
- Contact me on my blog.
- Submit a suggestion on UserVoice, using the Rangers Project category tag.
Channel 9 Videos
- Introducing the Unit Test Generator for Visual Studio
- Exploring the Unit Test Generator VS Extension v1.RC
- Unit Test Generator under the bonnet (hood) … aka vsarUnitTestFx …
- UserVoice idea that triggered this project
- Understanding the ALM Rangers
- ALM Ranger solutions
- ALM Rangers community