Top stories from the VSTS community – 2017.06.30
Here are top stories we found in our streams this week related to DevOps, VSTS, TFS and other interesting topics.
- RadioTFS #141 – “There is no P in Thomson” – RadioTFS
In this episode Martin, Angela, Josh and Greg finally have Ed Thomson on the show and chat latest news, VSTS migration and lots of Git!
- Replace ConnectionString values using transformations in Team Services – Bart
Creation of variables in Team Services, and slot settings in Azure are typically done by an Operations or Infrastructure/Deployment team, *not* by developers.
- Building VSTS Extensions with feature flags – Mikael Krief
We started talking about features flags (or features toggles) in our Software Development with Feature Toggles MSDN Magazine article. Today, with the increasing deployments of our extensions, and with a view to improving the user experience and our DevOps processes, we embarked on a research project to investigate the feasibility of using LaunchDarkly to eliminate risk and deliver value.
- VSTS Private Agents with ARM – Mariusz Kolodziej, Francis Lacroix
My customers love to use VSTS to enable their DevOps capabilities, but in some cases they are not able to use the Hosted Agents due to security restrictions. In that case, the alternative is to use Private Agents.
- DevOps with Kubernetes and VSTS: Part 1 – Colin Dembovsky
If you’ve read my blog before, you’ll probably know that I am huge fan of Docker and containers. When was the last time you installed software onto bare metal? Other than your laptop, chances are you haven’t for a long time.
- Integrating Angular 4 Unit Tests with Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) – Wael Kdouh
One of the nice features of Angular 4 (and Angular 2 before it) is the introduction of the Angular CLI (command line interface). I like to think of it as a style guide coming straight from the Angular team.
- Restarting VS Code fixed NPM INSTALL intermittent EPERM issues – Richard Fennell
Whilst doing some NPM build work for VSTS Extensions I kept getting intermittent EPERM errors about renaming Windows files during NPM install (as discussed on GitHub. When you get this it completely blocks any development.
- VSTS Pull Request Alerts in Microsoft Teams – Damian Brady
We use Microsoft Teams for day-to-day communication, so what better way to learn about new pull requests than through a chat client that’s always open?
- How do we get started with DevOps? – Donovan Brown
Often when I visit customers, I am asked “Where should we start?” The short answer is start with what hurts most. Some customers still ask again.
- Transitioning 69,000 engineers to one cloud system with Martin Woodward – Mike Hendrickson
Chat from #Velocity covering the DevOps transition and associated culture change.
TIP: If you want to get your VSTS news in audio form then be sure to subscribe to RadioTFS .
What do you think? How could we do this series better?
Here are some ways to connect with us:
- Add a comment below
- Use the #VSTS hashtag if you have articles you would like to see included