Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Released!
The final release of the Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack is now available for download. This release provides several exciting features for C++ developers, such as a major update to MFC and an implementation of TR1. These features are fully covered under Microsoft’s standard support policies.
The Feature Pack is available free of charge to any Visual Studio 2008 Standard or above customer. The download can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D466226B-8DAB-445F-A7B4-448B326C48E7&displaylang=en.
Using the included MFC components, developers can create applications with the “look & feel” of Microsoft’s most popular products – Microsoft Office, Visual Studio and Internet Explorer. Some of the interesting MFC components in the Feature Pack include:
· Office 2007 Ribbon Bar: Ribbon, Pearl, Quick Access Toolbar, Status Bar, etc.
· Office 2003 and XP look: Office-style toolbars and menus, Outlook-style shortcut bar, print preview, live font picker, color picker, etc.
· Visual Studio look: sophisticated docking functionality, auto hide windows, property grids, MDI tabs, tab groups, etc.
· Internet Explorer look: Rebars and task panes
· Vista theme support
· “On the fly” menus and toolbar customization: users can customize the running application through live drag and drop of menu items and toolbar buttons
· Shell management classes: use these classes to enumerate folders, drives and items, browse for folders and more
More information on our new MFC support can be found at the sites below:
MFC documentation & walkthroughs http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb982354.aspx
Channel 9: New Updates to MFC https://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=355087
TR1 (“Technical Report 1”) is a set of proposed additions to the C++0x standard. Our implementation of TR1 contains a number of important features such as smart pointers, regular expression parsing, containers (tuple, array, unordered set, etc) and sophisticated random number generators.
More information on TR1 can be found at the sites below:
TR1 documentation http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb982198.aspx
Channel 9: Digging into TR1 https://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=385821
TR1 slide decks (recommended) http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2008/02/22/tr1-slide-decks.aspx
This Feature Pack is only supported on systems which have the English language (ENU) version of Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition or above installed. Support for systems with non-English versions of Visual Studio 2008 installed will be available with Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1.
The documentation for this feature pack has already been added to MSDN online and will be included with the local MSDN documentation with SP1.
Enjoy all this new functionality!
Visual C++ Development Team