Guidance on using branches in TFS version control
Jeff Beehler announced the initial release of guidance on using branching and merging with your development process with TFS. This has been a pretty popular request from folks.
I’m extremely excited to announce the availability of Branching guidance for Team Foundation Server. This was a collaborative effort between the TFS product team and members of our “Ranger” program who are focused on accelerating adoption of V1. While the product documentation will tell you how each of our tools works, it doesn’t provide insight into the best practice usage of each. The guidance that we recently released attempts to fill that gap in the area of version control and how to best work with branches.
Here’s the high level overview:
- Parallel Development
- Branching Defined
- Creating Isolation in Team Foundation Server
- General Branching Structure Guidance
- Branching Strategies
- Broad Areas of Branching Isolation
- Creating Your Branching Strategy
- Defining Your Code Promotion Model
- Feature Crews: How Microsoft Does It
- End-to-End Implementation Scenario