Microsoft Teams apps now available in public preview in the Microsoft 365 iOS app
We recently announced the General Availability of Microsoft Teams apps in the Microsoft 365 Android app. And now, we’re excited to announce the public preview of Microsoft Teams apps in the Microsoft 365 iOS app (formerly known as Office app). Now, it’s easy for developers to extend Teams personal tab apps to both Android and iOS app users with a single code base. The result? It’s easier than ever to reach hundreds of millions of Microsoft 365 users across multiple Microsoft apps and devices.
The Microsoft Teams JS SDK v2 was made generally available at Microsoft Build 2022. It has helped the developer community build once and deploy easily across Teams, Outlook and Microsoft 365 on web, desktop and mobile.
Join our Beta program
You can now run the Teams personal tab apps on the Microsoft 365 Beta app on iOS by joining the Apple TestFlight program. Teams apps built using Microsoft Teams JS v2 and Teams App manifest (version 1.13) will start showing up in Microsoft 365 iOS app under the “Apps” menu.
- To get started, install TestFlight app on the iOS device that you’ll use for testing.
- Provide your Apple ID here.
- You will receive an email from Apple TestFlight in ~24 hours.
- When installing via email invitation, tap “View in TestFlight” or “Start testing” then tap “Install”.
- You will be routed inside TestFlight app where you can get the Microsoft 365 app.
Build and run apps on Microsoft 365 iOS app
- To build a personal tab app and run it on Microsoft 365 iOS app, refer to the developer documentation. You can also try to deploy this sample app, NorthWind Orders: https://aka.ms/teamssdk-v2-sample
- Once you log into the Microsoft 365 app with your work account, you can find the apps deployed/acquired in the “Apps” menu in Microsoft 365 iOS app.
Apps menu in Microsoft 365 iOS app
- Several pilot partners including Adobe Acrobat Sign, Zoho Projects and Bigger Brains eLearning, which are available in our Microsoft 365 and Teams app stores, have already published Teams tab apps that can run on iOS. Check them out for inspiration.
Adobe Acrobat Sign and Zoho Projects personal tab apps running in Microsoft 365 iOS app
IT Admins can now deploy and manage apps from the Microsoft Admin Center. Learn more here on how a Teams personal tab app can be deployed to Microsoft 365 (Office) hub using the Microsoft Admin Center.
We understand there may be additional management requirements specific to the Microsoft 365 app. You may want to:
- Only allow specific users in your org to try Teams apps in the Microsoft 365 app, or
- Block all users in your org from using Teams apps in the Microsoft 365 app
You can do these using app configuration policy, documented here: Manage Office for iOS and Android with Intune | Microsoft Learn
Preview is the perfect time to give us feedback, and we want to hear from you! Let us know your experience working with Teams JS SDK v2 via Microsoft Teams and report any issues on GitHub. This release will be updated often. Follow us on Twitter @Microsoft365Dev to stay up to date on the latest announcements. You can also continue the conversation by joining us in the Microsoft 365 Tech Community!