Announcing JUnit Support for Visual Studio Code
Today, we’re pleased to release a new extension to our Visual Studio Code Java extension family – Test Runner/Debugger for Java. It’s a lightweight test runner/debugger with below features we hope you will like.
- Recognize JUnit4 tests
- Run test
- Debug test
- View test status and run summary
Along with the new extension, we’re also updating our Debugger extension with version 0.4.0. With this release, we’re adding a few useful tools to make Java debugger in VS Code more enjoyable.
Launch in terminal
Since the standard VS Code debug console does not allow input, we’re now providing an alternative for you to use external or integrated terminal within VS Code to launch your application. Now you can input values to step over the input statements. It’s also a simple configuration in launch.json.
Stop on Entry
With a simple configuration, now you can ask the debugger to stop at your first line of code when it’s launched, and step through from there without needing to put a breakpoint beforehand.
This new release also include these additional updates
- Multi-root workspace support
- Bug fixes.
Details could be found at our extension marketplace page and our debugging tutorial. For our next release, we’re now working on 3 other highly demanded feature, step filter, expression evaluation and hot code replacement. Please stay tuned and we will enable those soon! Please find more details in our changelog and don’t hesitate if you would like to share your thoughts with us, just join the Gitter discussion or submit an issue!
Try it out
If you’re trying to find a performant editor for your Java project, please give it a try
- Install the Java Extension Pack which including Language Support for Java(TM) by Red Hat, Debugger for Java and Test Runner/Debugger for Java.
- Learn more about Java on Visual Studio Code.
- Explore our step by step Java Tutorials on VS Code.
- You can submit a bug of feature request to Java Debugger Extension and participant community driven Gitter channel for discussion.