The week in .NET – On .NET with Steve Smith, Jint, Blue Effect
To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – .NET Core triage on On .NET, ShareX. Next week, the post will be a little late like this week.
Last week, I published a short interview with Steve Smith that was shot during the MVP Summit. We talked about ASP.NET Core and its documentation, that Steve has been contributing to, about his consulting activity, and about his Kickstarter-funded software craftsmanship calendar.
This week, I’ll publish another MVP Summit short interview.
Package of the week: Jint
Interoperability in Jint works both ways, with simple translations between both type systems that even include generics support:
Game of the Week: Blue Effect
Blue Effect is a virtual reality first-person shooter survival horror game. You are deployed to Planet Exo-277, which is populated by an alien race who wants to exterminate you. Fight waves of cruel aliens with your “Little Buddy” (a laser pistol that vaporizes anything in its path), “Enlightenment” (an orb used for lighting the path) and “Blue Effect” (a rare energy source that powers your equipment). Blue Effect also features a Hide & Seek, local multiplayer game mode. In Hide and Seek, a second player is put in control of one of the aliens via a game controller with the goal of seeking, scaring and exterminating.
- The New and Improved Visual Studio 2017 RC: A Review by Ollie Bannsiter.
- Why Exceptions should be Exceptional by Matt Warren.
- Decimal vs Double and Other Tips About Number Types in .NET by Matthew Jones.
- Akka.Net, Async/Await, .NET Core, Micro-ORMs and EFCore by Maher Jendoubi.
- Making bits faster and Dividing a bit in two for performance by Szymon Warda.
- Gotchas with HttpClient’s CancelPendingRequests and Timeout in .NET by Daniel Crabtree.
- Free Intermediate ASP.NET Core 1.0 Training on Microsoft Virtual Academy by Scott Hanselman.
- Redirecting unknown cultures when using the url culture provider by Andrew Lock.
- Page redirection and URL Rewriting with ASP.NET Core by Gérald Barré.
- Your First Angular 2, ASP.NET Core Project in Visual Studio Code – Part 6 by Aaron Marisi.
- Distributed Cache using Redis and ASP.NET Core by Petru Faurescu.
- Exploring F# with .NET Core and Kestrel by Shane Logsdon.
- Functional approaches to dependency injection by Scott Wlaschin.
- Data structures and algorithms – helping Santa Claus find his road to San Francisco by Tomasz Jaskula.
- ReF#actoring: rewriting an actor in F# by Vagif Abilov.
- The Traveling Santa Problem… a Neural Network solution by Riccardo Terrell.
- About Expandable F# Compiler project by Kouji Matsui.
- When Playstation meets F#, PSX |> Pi by Ross McKinlay and Andrea McAts.
- From Elm to Fable: trying F# In The Frontend by Lucas Reis.
- Evaluate JsonPath Queries using FSharp.Data by Jonathan Leaver.
- Service Bus, .NET Standard, and Open Source by John Taubensee.
- Using Azure App Service Authentication with ASP.NET (Classic) MVC Applications by Adrian Hall.
- Getting started with Azure Functions and using them within Logic Apps by Steef-Jan Wiggers.
- Xamarin Stable Release: Cycle 8 Service Release 2 by Luis Aguilera.
- Xamarin Alpha Preview 6: Cycle 9 by Bri Brothers.
- Android 7.1 Developer Preview Now Available by Miguel de Icaza.
- Build your Mobile Development Toolkit for 2017 by Cormac Foster.
- Simple and Intuitive App Shortcuts in Android 7.1 by James Montemagno.
- Xamarin Dev Days Available On-Demand by Jayme Singleton.
- The Xamarin Show Snack Pack 4: Interactive Learning with Xamarin Workbooks by James Montemagno.
- Going Serverless with Azure Functions: SendGrid by James Montemagno.
- Xamarin.Forms: Google AdMob Ads in Android & Xamarin.Forms: Google Admob Ads in iOS by James Montemagno.
- Deploy the Android 7 Multi-Window Mode via Xamarin by Wallace McClure.
- Xamarin Forms Layout Engine, Under The Hood by Adam Pedley.
- How to Make an Android and iOS App in C# on a Mac by Demir Selmanovic.
- Looking at Entity Framework Core 1.0 by Peter Vogel.
- Take a look behind-the-scenes with design documents from The Legend of Zelda!
- Object construction with factory method by Pasquale Franzese.
- [Unity 5] Tutorial: How to make an inventory system – part 1 (Video) by Gamad.
- Generating Collision Meshes for a Voxel Chunk by Benjamin James Drury.
- Procedural Landmass Generation (E17: texture shader) by Sebastian Lague.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.