The week in .NET – Bond – The Gallery
To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – On .NET on Net Standard 2.0 – Nancy – Satellite Reign.
We didn’t have a show last week, but we’re back this week with Rowan Miller to chat about Entity Framework Core 1.1 and .NET. The show is on Thursdays and begins at 10AM Pacific Time on Channel 9. We’ll take questions on Gitter, on the dotnet/home channel and on Twitter. Please use the
#onnet tag. It’s OK to start sending us questions in advance if you can’t do it live during the show.
Package of the week: Bond
To work with Bond, you start by defining your schema using an IDL-like specification.
Then, you codegen a C# library for the schema:
You may now use the generated library in your C# code to instantiate objects of the types defined, as well as serialize and deserialize them:
Bond also offers deep cloning and comparison for objects of compatible types defined from Bond specifications.
Game of the Week: The Gallery – Episode 1: Call of the Starseed
The Gallery – Episode 1: Call of the Starseed is a four part episodic fantasy adventure game designed for virtual reality. Meet mysterious and bizarre characters while you follow clues in search for your missing sister, Elsie. The Gallery – Episode 1: Call of the Starseed features full-room scale VR with interactions that will have you sitting, standing, crouching and crawling around.
The Gallery – Episode 1: Call of the Starseed was created by Cloudhead Games using Unity and C#. It is available for the HTC Vive on Steam and will be available in December on Oculus Home for the Oculus Touch.
Conference of the week: .NET DeveloperDays October 20-21 in Warsaw
.NET DeveloperDays is the biggest event in Central and Eastern Europe dedicated exclusively to application development on the .NET platform. It is designed for architects, developers, testers and project managers using .NET in their work and to those who want to improve their knowledge and skills in this field. The conference content is 100% English, making it easy for the international audience to attend. The speaker lineup includes Jon Skeet, Dino Esposito, and Ted Neward.
- .NET Framework Monthly Rollups Explained and .NET Framework Monthly Rollup: October 2016 by Stacey Haffner.
- Learning .NET Core by example by Jon Hilton.
- Parallel Test Execution by Pratap Lakshman.
- Porting Apache Avro into .NET Core by Welly Tambunan.
- Timing the time it takes to parse time part 1 and part 2 by Ayende Rahien.
- Microsoft IIS Administration Preview.
- Deal with time dependencies in Tests by Carlos Mendible.
- Metric.NET: dealing with measurement units by Ivan Milutinović.
- Stuntman now works with .NET Core.
- MediatR Pipeline Examples by Jimmy Bogard.
- Using Core class library from .NET 4.6 project by Hrvoje Hudoletnjak.
- Calling UWP APIs from a Desktop Application by Mike Taulty.
- Exploring ASP.NET Core with Docker in both Linux and Windows Containers by Scott Hanselman.
- Custom authorization policies and requirements in ASP.NET Core by Andrew Lock.
- Debugging into ASP.NET Core Source by Steve Gordon.
- Localization & Routing in ASP.NET Core 1.0 by Hisham Bin Ateya.
- ASP.NET Core and the Enterprise: Part 1 Frameworks by K. Scott Allen.
- Using F# on Azure by Sylvan Clebsch.
- Getting Started with F# in Visual Studio Code with Ionide by Phillip Carter.
- Using F# with .NET Core by Ody Mbegbu.
- ASP.NET Identity in an F# Web Application, Part One by Ernest Pazera.
- Prefer Records of Functions to Interfaces by Matthew Doig.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Xamarin Preview: Xamarin Profiler 0.38.0 by Adrian Murphy.
- Xamarin Dev Days Continue to Roll Out! by Jayme Singleton.
- Mobile Leaders Podcast | Enterprise Mobility Trends with Maribel Lopez by Anusha Sethuraman.
- Live Webinar | Xamarin University Presents: Introduction to Xamarin with Visual Studio by Courtney Witmer.
- Understanding Android’s Doze Functionality and The Xamarin Show 6: User Interface Automation with Charles Wang by James Montemagno.
- Bringing Platform-Specific Functionality to Xamarin.Forms Apps by Pierce Boggan.
- Designing Card-Based User Interfaces by Nick Babich.
- Creating A Splash Screen In Xamarin Forms and Misuses Of MessagingCenter by Adam Pedley.
- ReactiveUI Goodies – Search and ReactiveUI Goodies – ReactiveList by Jan Hannemann.
- Semantic Versioning of Xamarin Applications by Geoffrey Huntley.
- Templates and Extensions for Xamarin & Mono by Terrence Dorsey.
- Simpler Azure Management Libraries for .NET by Asir Selvasingh.
- Hosting .NET Core Services on Service Fabric by Vaijanath Angadihiremath.
- Running Worker Roles with Docker in .NET Core by Pepijn Schoen.
- ASP.NET Core 1.0 – Configure Application Insights by Joao Sousa.
- App Service Mobile Apps .NET Client SDK 3.0.1 release by Mimi Xu.
- Sending a Regular SMS with Azure Functions and Twilio by Jason Roberts.
- Curated #UnityTips No. 17 by DevDog October 2016 by DevDog.
- Unity 5 Tutorial: How to debug raycasts (video) by Gamad.
- Using InputFields with C# Unity 5.4 (video) by Learn To Be Indie.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.