The week in .NET – 8/30/2016
To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – 8/23/2016.
This week, we’ll talk to Ayende Rahien from Hibernating Rhinos, about RavenDB and .NET. The show begins at 11AM Pacific Time on Channel 9. We’ll take questions on Gitter, on the dotnet/home channel. Please use the
#onnet tag. It’s OK to start sending us questions in advance if you can’t do it live during the show.
Package of the week: F# Data
Tool of the week: NDepend
NDepend is one of the best ways to find architectural issues in a code base. It will identify problematic coupling and cycles in your dependency structure, and it will enable you to query code using LINQ queries.
Game of the Week: Mervils: A VR Adventure
Mervils: A VR Adventure is an open-world RPG with platformer-like elements. Your story begins with your good friend, Merlin the Blue, an ancient wizard, foreseeing the return of a powerful enemy, known as “Balazar”. Geared with a few coins and a great sword, you begin the quest to defeat Balazar. Designed from the ground up for virtual reality, Mervils: A VR Adventure features character customization, a rich and evolving story, beautiful environments and challenging puzzles.
Mervils: A VR Adventure was created by VitruviusVR using Unity and C#. It is currently available for the Oculus Rift on Oculus Home and HTC Vive on Steam and will be available for PlaystationVR in the fall.
User group meeting of the week: intro to Azure DocumentDB for .NET and SQL Server developers in Tallahassee
The Capital City .NET Users Group hosts an intro to Azure DocumentDB for .NET and SQL Server developers on Thursday, September 1 at 6PM in Tallahassee with Santosh Hari.
- What’s New in C# 7.0 by Mads Torgersen.
- Changes to Expiring NuGet API Keys by Harikrishna Menon.
- What’s New in Entity Framework Core 1.0? by Team Stormpath.
- Writing Better Tests Than Humans Can Part 1: FsCheck Property Tests in C# by Aaron Stannard.
- Create vCard QR Codes using Azure Functions by Carlos Mendible.
- Building NuGet (.NET Core) using Atlassian Bitbucket Pipelines by Maarten Balliauw.
- Using JSON Data and EF to Seed a Database by Julie Lerman.
- Extending dotnet cli commands in dotnet core by Swaminathan Vetri.
- A look behind the JWT bearer authentication middleware in ASP.NET Core and An introduction to Session storage in ASP.NET Core by Andrew Lock.
- Adding Application Insights in ASP.Net core project by Janak.
- Getting Started with ASP.Net Performance Monitoring and Optimization by Pierre-Luc Maheu.
- Initial Port Of Restful Routing To ASP.NET Core by Khalid Abuhakmeh.
- Using NancyFx in ASP.NET Core by Anuraj.
- Creating a GPS configuration provider for ASP.NET Core by Bill Boga.
- ASP.NET Core 1.0 with MySQL and Entity Framework Core by Damien Bod.
- Secure Your ASP.NET Core Application From Image Hotlinking by Hisham.
- Functional Programming with F# (YouTube playlist) by David Wilson.
- Mobius, Microsoft’s Official Bindings to Apache Spark, has F# Samples now!
- F# for the Curly Brace Developer (video) by Michael Newton.
- Creating a Slack Bot with F# and Suave in Less than 5 Minutes by Dustin Moris Gorski.
- Getting Started with F# with Cross-Platform Tools by Phillip Carter.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Xamarin Podcast: Identity Management in Mobile Apps by Pierce Boggan.
- Creating a Serverless Backend for Mobile Apps & Continuous Integration for iOS Apps with Visual Studio Team Services by James Montemagno.
- How Olo Powers 150+ Restaurant Ordering Apps with Mobile DevOps by Lacey Butler.
- NuGet Package Explorer for Xamarin Studio by Matt Ward.
- Xamarin Beta Preview 2: Cycle 8 by Adrian Murphy.
- Cryptography in Portable Libraries by Adam Pedley.
- Jason Smith’s Xamarin Forms Performance Tips by Kent Boogaart.
- Prism for Xamarin Forms – An overview (Part 1) and Prism for Xamarin Forms – Basic navigation and dependency injection (Part 2) by Matteo Pagani.
- Announcing Serilog.Sinks.Xamarin by Geoffrey Huntley.
- Get the Unity 5.5 Beta Now by Alex Lian.
- CRYENGINE 5.2 is now available for download!.
- (CRYENGINE) Getting Started Running C# in Visual Studio, (CRYENGINE) Using Managed Entities (Tutorial Series), and (CRYENGINE) Using CE#’s UI System (Tutorial Series) by Benjamin Peters and Aaron Garcha.
- Shaders Case Study – Overwatch: Winston’s Barrier Projector (video) by Makin’ Stuff Look Good.
- Use Linear Algebra to solve problems in Unity with C# by Erik Nordeus.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.