The week in .NET – 8/2/2016
To read last week’s post, see The week in .NET – 7/26/2016.
We had no show last week, and the guest for this week is still to be determined. Please check the On .NET channel on YouTube for updates.
Package of the week: AForge.NET
AForge.NET is an open source C# framework designed for developers and researchers in the fields of Computer Vision and Artificial Intelligence – image processing, neural networks, genetic algorithms, fuzzy logic, machine learning, robotics, etc.
Here’s the code for simple motion detection from a video feed:
.NET Core App of the week: Emitter.io
Game of the Week: Overcooked
Chaotic couch co-op cooking game for one to four players.
In Overcooked, you work as a team of chefs preparing, cooking and serving a variety of tasty orders, making sure to serve them before your customers storm out angry, of course! You can play solo or with up to four of your friends in both co-op and challenge game modes. Overcooked features an array of bizarre kitchens that push your co-op and coordination skills, including being located on a pirate ship, moving trucks and the bowels of a fiery underworld!
User group meeting of the week: Using F# to Create a Shared Logic Layer in Seattle
Join the Seattle Mobile .NET Developers group and James Moore on Wednesday, August 3 at 6:00PM at the City University of Seattle for a session about building a F# driven shared business logic layer for your apps.
- Entity Framework Core 1.1 Plans by Rowan Miller.
- .NET Support and Versioning by Lee Coward.
- Return Any (Task-Like) Type From An Async Method by Bar Arnon.
- Building all and current dotnet core projects in VS Code by Jonathan Channon.
- Detect and Blur Faces with .NET Core and Face API by Carlos Mendible.
- Rider – the story so far by Matt Ellis.
- .NET Core: Using existing resx resource file by Rockford Lhotka.
- The 201 on Building Web API with ASP.NET Core MVC (book) by Badrinarayanan Lakshmiraghavan.
- Announcing WebApiContrib for ASP.NET Core by Filip W.
- ASP.NET Core upgrade speedrun (video) by Steve Desmond.
- Cross platform .NET, welcome to the new age! (video) by Julie Lerman.
- Loading view components from a class library in ASP.NET Code MVC by the ASP.NET Monsters.
- Using Roles with the ASP.NET Core JWT middleware and Adding parameters to the OpenID Connect Authorization URL by Jerrie Pelser.
- ASP.NET Core hosting (revisited) – Part I and part II by Luís Gonçalves.
- Securing Authentication Cookies in ASP.NET Core and Generating Route URLs in ASP.NET Core MVC by Marius Schulz.
- Loading tenants from the database with SaasKit – Part 2, Caching by Andrew Lock.
- Exploring a minimal WebAPI with ASP.NET Core by Scott Hanselman.
- Walkthrough: ASP.NET application performance improvements on Azure with ANTS Performance Profiler by Ben Emmett.
- How to add MVC to your ASP.NEt Core application by Jon Hilton.
- Authoring Nested TagHelpers in ASP.NET Core MVC by Prabhakar Mishra.
- Using PetaPoco micro-ORM with ASP.NET Core by Paul Duffy.
- Using Sessions and HttpContext in ASP.NET Core and MVC Core by Ben Cull.
- Working with F# projects in VSCode by Krzysztof Cieślak.
- Approximate your spending pattern using Gradient descent in F# by Kimserey Lam.
- A on Akka.NET 1.1 with Aaron Stannard by Pierre-Luc Maheu.
- Workshop Recap: Expressing Intent with F# with Tomas Petricek by Erich Ess and Nora Jones.
- My first month working with F# daily by Iuri L Machado.
- Struggling with Readability in Functional Programming (with Euler Problem #6 in F#) by Jeremy Clark.
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Preview: Android N support preview 3 by Adrian Murphy.
- Asset Previewer by Miguel de Icaza.
- Implement Custom fonts using Effects in Xamarin Forms by S Ravi Kumar.
- Creating a Xamarin.Android Navigation Service for MVVM Light to use with any Activity, Using the MVVM Light ObservableRecylerAdapter with the Xamarin.Android RecylerView, and Using the ObservableTableViewSource in MVVM Light V5.3 with Xamarin.iOS by Richard Woollcott.
- Unity 5.4 is Out – Here’s What’s In It by Alex Lian
- Creating an Ability System With Scriptable Objects (upcoming Unity live training) by Matthew-Schell
- Character Select System with Scriptable Objects (upcoming Unity live training) by Matthew-Schell
- Delegates and Events in Unity by Unity Geek
- Finite State Machine For Game Developers by Marco
- Hex Map 2: Blending Cell Colors by Catlike Coding
- 1.1 Unity Tower defense tutorial by inScope Studios
- Unity and C# Tutorial – Lesson Three – Arrays by Craig Hinrichs
- C# Monogame RPG Made Easy Tutorial 2 – GameScreen by CodingMadeEasy
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET? We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games.