Top stories from the VSTS community – 2017.07.21
Here are top stories we found in our streams this week related to DevOps, VSTS, TFS and other interesting topics.
- What is Visual Studio Team Services? A Look at Its Features, Uses, Tutorials and More – Angela Stringfello
At Stackify, we’re big fans of tools that make developers’ lives simpler, and one such tool is Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS), an extension of the Visual Studio architecture that covers development teams.
- HOWTO: Copy text to clipboard in VSTS/TFS Extensions – Utkarsh Shigihalli
See how to implement that functionality and copy text to clipboard from your VSTS/TFS extensions using Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services Web Extension SDK and Typescript.
- Building VSTS Extensions with feature flags – Part 2 – Mikael Krief
Previously we closed with a brief mention that we’re trying to find a way to exchange a more secure user key as part of the communication between our extensions and the LaunchDarkly service. We believe we found a solution,!
- Protecting a VSTS Web Hook with Basic Authentication – Colin Dembovsky
How to create a Web Hook project that includes Basic Auth as well as logging to Application Insights. How to debug and test your service using Postman.
- The story of a TF.exe hang – Tomas Restrepo
Visual Studio 2017 was not being cooperative, and would get stuck with the “downloading files” dialog. TFF.exe was doing the same.
- How to Write Code that Operations Will Like – Erik Dietrich
You all have responsibility for the successful creation, deployment, and operation of the software.
- A review of Scrum for Kanban Teams – Dave White
Kanban teams need to be open minded when looking for practices that may enhance the way that they work. They should not be afraid to look at Scrum as a source of those activities.
**** **** VIDEOS
- VS Team Services – Test Case Explorer v2 – ALM Rangers
Anthony Borton provides an overview of the Test Case Explorer v2 extension, and walks through how you can use it. Created by Mathias Olausson and Mattias Skold, the extension enables users to manage their test cases and clone test plans and suites.
- Advanced MSBuild Extensibility with Nate McMaster – Nate McMaster
Nate McMaster shows how to write your own MSBuild tasks in C#. Since you’re developing your tasks in C#, you can use standard .NET libraries, debug your code, etc.
- Sharing MSBuild Tasks as NuGet Packages with Nate McMaster – Nate McMaster
Nate McMaster shows how to publish an MSBuild task as a NuGet package, allowing you to share it and reuse it in your own projects.
TIP: If you want to get your VSTS news in audio form then be sure to subscribe to RadioTFS .
What do you think? How could we do this series better?
Here are some ways to connect with us:
- Add a comment below
- Use the #VSTS hashtag if you have articles you would like to see included