Top stories from the VSTS community – 2017.07.14
Here are top stories we found in our streams this week related to DevOps, VSTS, TFS and other interesting topics.
- 142 // Oh Dark Thirty with Colin Dembovsky – RadioTFS
In this episode Greg and Josh chat with Colin Dembovsky about just how early it is recording this on the West Coast, XAML Builds, the new Wiki extension, Builds, Kubernetes, DevOps and more…
- Delivery Plans Extension for VSTS – Mohamed Radwan
Delivery Plans is an extension for Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) designed to provide a better cross-team visibility. The Delivery Plans extension is essential for management and organization of work especially if several teams are available and working at the same time in the same project.
- HelloWorld Chef on Windows, Knife, Cookbook, IIS, Windows Azure & everything in between – Tarun Arora
Configuration Management is one of the key pillars of DevOps. Configuration Management helps address snowflake servers and configuration drift. Microsoft has its own offering for configuration management in azure with hosted DSC server through Azure Automation. Microsoft has an equally compelling story with the open source tools such as Chef and Puppet.
- Shipping a cross-platform MSBuild task in a NuGet package – Nate McMaster
In this post, I’m going walk through the key pieces of how to write an MSBuild task that works on both the .NET Core command line and in Visual Studio, and then how to bundle that task into a NuGet package so the task can be shared and installed automatically into projects.
- End to End Walkthrough: Deploying Web Applications Using Team Build and Release Management – Colin Dembovsky
So in this post I’m going to do a complete end-to-end walkthrough of deploying web applications using Team Build and Release Management. I’ll be including handling configs – arguably the hardest part of the whole process.
- Continuous Integration, not Continuous Isolation – Damian Brady
While long-running branches may feel more productive day to day, realize that you’re just deferring the merge pain. That conflict you introduced is going to need attention at some point. The sooner you address it, the easier it will be to resolve.
- Our June champion is Edward Fry, for his passionate analysis of our transition – ALM Rangers
We are pleased to introduce Edward Fry in our series of posts to recognize the champs of the Ranger community. He’s been nominated for his tenacious information gathering, interviews, and analysis of our engineering process transformation.
**** **** VIDEOS
- From Zero to Hero – Anthony Borton
In this 60 minute presentation, we’re going to create an account using Visual Studio Team Services and have a modern, enterprise-class team development environment up and running in no time.
- Azure Mobile App – Under the Hood – Scott Hanselman, Jakub Jedryszek
Show how the Azure mobile app is built. From benefits of Xamarin Native, through Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery with VSTS and HockeyApp, to tips and tricks for writing UI tests with Xamarin Test Cloud.
- Database DevOps with Redgate and Visual Studio Team Services – David Simner, Tom Austin
A Spring into DevOps webinar series video that talks about Database DevOps with Redgate and Visual Studio Team Services
TIP: If you want to get your VSTS news in audio form then be sure to subscribe to RadioTFS .
What do you think? How could we do this series better?
Here are some ways to connect with us:
- Add a comment below
- Use the #VSTS hashtag if you have articles you would like to see included