AzureFunBytes Episode 49 – Intro to @Azure SQL with @StevenMurawski
AzureFunBytes is a weekly opportunity to learn more about the fundamentals and foundations that make up Azure. It’s a chance for me to understand more about what people across the Azure organization do and how they do it. Every week we get together at 11 AM Pacific on Microsoft LearnTV and learn more about Azure.
At the heart of most applications is a database. This database could provide critical information about customers, patients, store inventory, or even help us find a cure for diseases. How we create, modify, and consume these databases is important to learn in order to be successful with our applications. This week we’ll focus on Azure SQL and the benefits of using your database in the cloud.
I’ve asked Microsoft Principal Cloud Advocate Manager Steven Murawski to help us take an introductory look into the Azure SQL service. We take a dive into what Azure SQL is, what makes up this service, how it’s implemented, when you should select an VM over a Cloud Service, and more. We look at things like DTU’s, vCore, and other billing and service tiers that impact your deployment of Azure SQL.
- What is Azure SQL?
- What are my Azure SQL options?
- Creating an Azure SQL Database
- Administering an Azure SQL Database
- Querying Azure SQL Databases (and the tools to use)
- Networking and access control
- Some new and interesting stuff like elastic queries
00:03:11 – Intro
00:08:44 – What is Azure SQL?
00:22:45 – Create an Azure SQL Instance from the portal
00:30:08 – Sample data at creation time
00:36:31 – Available hardware configs
00:41:32 – Automatic tuning
00:44:15 – Management tools for SQL
00:55:37 – Network access to databases
From the Azure SQL product page:
Get a consistent, unified experience across your entire SQL portfolio and a full range of deployment options from edge to cloud. Intelligent and secure Azure SQL database services make it easy to:
- Migrate your SQL workloads with SQL Server on Azure Virtual Machines.
- Modernize your existing applications with Azure SQL Managed Instance.
- Support modern cloud applications with Azure SQL Database.
- Use your existing SQL skills in the cloud on the same SQL Server engine.
- Extend your applications to IoT edge gateways and devices with Azure SQL Edge.
- Keep making the most of your current license investments.
- Run Azure SQL on-premises and in multicloud environments with Azure Arc-enabled data services.
- Learn more about saving time and money on your migration.
Learn about Azure fundamentals with me!
Live stream is normally found on Twitch, YouTube, and LearnTV at 11 AM PT / 2 PM ET Thursday. You can also find the recordings here as well:
Get $200 in free Azure Credit
Microsoft Learn: Introduction to Azure fundamentals
Ray Ozzie announces Windows Azure (2008)
Azure SQL documentation
Azure SQL Edge documentation
Microsoft Learn: Azure SQL fundamentals
Video Series: Azure SQL for beginners
What is Azure SQL?
What is Azure SQL Database?
Tutorial: Design a relational database in Azure SQL Database C# and ADO.NET
Quickstart: Create an Azure SQL Database single database
On-Prem To The Cloud (episode 7): Migrating to Azure SQL
Azure SQL Database and Azure Synapse Analytics connectivity architecture
Monitoring and performance tuning in Azure SQL Database and Azure SQL Managed Instance