Announced at Ignite: new Cassandra and MongoDB capabilities, real-time analytics, enhanced security, and more
Today at Microsoft Ignite, Azure Cosmos DB announced new features that make it even easier for application developers to migrate NoSQL data, and build fast, scalable, and secure applications.
The introduction of Azure Managed Instance for Apache Cassandra (preview) offers a second path of Cassandra data support on Azure, with zero-downtime migrations from self-managed on-premises deployments. It removes the need for developers and database administrators to manage infrastructure or update database versions. Soon the service will seamlessly connect to Azure Cosmos DB for smooth data migration and replication across on-premise and cloud environments. Likewise, developers can use the new Azure Cosmos DB API for MongoDB v4.0 (now generally available) to support multi-document transactions and bring existing applications to Azure Cosmos DB for instant and automatic elasticity, auto-sharding, and serverless.
Enterprise-grade security enhancements for applications of any size or scale were also announced, including new continuous backup with point-in-time restore (preview) and role-based access control (RBAC) with Azure Active Directory (AAD) integration (preview).
Data analysts can run near-real-time analytics with Azure Synapse Link (now generally available) over databases using Azure Cosmos DB API for MongoDB or the native Core (SQL) API. Rich business intelligence dashboards can be built and fast analytical T-SQL queries can run over the data in Azure Cosmos DB using Synapse SQL serverless pools (also now generally available). Security controls have also been enhanced with the addition of network isolation using private endpoints and data encryption using customer-managed keys.
See all announcements
Get the details of all the Azure Cosmos DB news announced at Ignite:
- Watch live – March 2, 3pm PT and March 3, 12:30am PT: “Go limitless with Azure Data & AI” with Corporate Vice-President Rohan Kumar
- Watch on-demand: “More scale. More performance.” to learn about the new Azure Cosmos DB API for MongoDB v4.0 with multi-document transaction support (Ignite session # OD338)
- Watch on-demand: “Azure Synapse Analytics: Building end-to-end analytics solutions” to see the latest with Azure Synapse Link for Azure Cosmos DB (Ignite session # OD333)
- Watch on-demand: “Continuous backup and point-in-time restore: overview and demo”
- Watch on-demand: “Enhance security through role-based access control“
New to Azure Cosmos DB?
- Try Azure Cosmos DB free in production or non-production environments
- Download the free best practices and optimization guide
- Visit MS Learn to build your Azure Cosmos DB skills