Watch the latest Visual Studio extensibility videos
We have been posting several short videos about Visual Studio extensibility to our YouTube channel in the past couple of months. We chose the topics for the first videos, but now it’s time for you to tell us what videos to record next.
The idea behind the short videos is to introduce extensibility concepts you may find useful. Perhaps you’ll even go ahead and implement some of them in your own extensions.
Often the concepts aren’t new but relatively unknown to Visual Studio extension authors. There’s always something to learn and we’ve found that short videos are a great way to show and tell.
If you haven’t yet, make sure to check out the first batch of extensibility related videos, which include:
- Easily add support for new languages in Visual Studio
- Upload an extension to the Visual Studio Marketplace
- Create your own Visual Studio extension gallery
- How to create a Visual Studio extension pack
- Visual Studio’s Safe Mode switch
Find these and more videos on the Visual Studio YouTube channel in the Tips & Tricks playlist.
What videos should we do next?
We’d love to make more videos about Visual Studio extensibility and could use your help to come up with the right topics. So, if you want us to make a video covering any specific topic, let us know in the comments below. Please remember that the topic should fit a 5-minute video format.
Two topics I’d like to see covered:
– How to execute any registered command from the code, or at least those provided by my extension.
– Is there any API to edit a csproj or sqlproj without editing the file? Or is the only way to manipulate a project by editing the file? Is there at least any hard-coded model for csproj and sqlproj?
this comment has been deleted.
I’d like to see the exact CI/CD steps to publish an extension from Azure DevOps to the Marketplace.
Me too – always having to explicitly download and upload is frustrating.
You can read my blog post “Azure DevOps for Visual Studio Extensions” – https://laurentkempe.com/2019/03/05/Azure-DevOps-for-Visual-Studio-Extensions/
When are you going to update the VS roadmap page again? …it has fallen behind.
1) How use Reporting Services from Azure Conteiner with a Blazor Aplication.
2) Microsoft never show how make a little app. from the begining to end, will be nice if we see it. a) Desing layout, back end, front end, security with roles, etc.
3) what tools for reporintg microft will do in the future or we always must locking for thirth party tools?
1. How to create designer to edit code file side-by-side (Like XAML designer)
2. How to create UI testing for Visual Studio Extension (In particular for language services, such as goto definition and find all references)
I’d love to see some beginner topics:
– How to create a new extension. Go through what project to pick, then explain what all boilerplate was generated for us.
– How to add a menu item to Visual Studio. Getting it working, then show how to customize the text based on the current state of VS. Also show how to add to an existing menu in Visual Studio vs. creating your own entry in the Extensions menu.
– How to assign default keybindings for your extensions commands.
These are great suggestions. Thank you!!