The week in .NET – Project File Tools, Maira Wenzel, Mixed Reality in Miami, and links!
- .NET Core 2.0, ASP.NET Core 2.0, Entity Framework 2.0, Visual Studio 2017 Update 3, enterprise Entity Framework Core in Boston
- Rezoom.SQL, Protobuf in Orlando
- Nuke, Warden.NET, .NET in Bangalore
Visual Studio extension of the week: Project File Tools
The Project File Tools Visual Studio extension provides package name and version IntelliSense, tooltips for packages, and more, when editing a
.csproj file in Visual Studio.
The extension just got updated. Get it from the Visual Studio Marketplace.
Interview of the week: Maira Wenzel
Maira Wenzel is a senior content developer on the .NET team. She is the content lead for .NET Core and .NET Framework documentation and she runs one of Microsoft’s open source projects at https://github.com/dotnet/docs. Learn how she joined Microsoft and how she kept things interesting by trying new career paths.
User group meeting of the week: mixed reality in Miami
Mobile and device expert Dwight Goins will be back in Miami to introduce mixed reality. Don’t miss the opportunity to learn about this awesome new technology and maybe get your hands dirty a bit.
- .NET Framework August 2017 Preview of Quality Rollup by Rich Lander.
- .NET Framework Update for AppContext by Rich Lander.
- Exploring refit, an automatic type-safe REST library for .NET Standard by Scott Hanselman.
- Referencing .NET Standard Assemblies from both .NET Core and .NET Framework by Scott Hanselman.
- Disassembling .NET Code with BenchmarkDotNet by Adam Sitnik.
- Draft – .NET Glossary Diagram by Scott Hanselman.
- Working with JSON in C# & VB by Graeme Grant.
- What is .NET? Framework or Platform? by Daniel Crabtree.
- Using .NET Core 2.0 SDK on Travis by Jon Skeet.
- Diagnosing slow tests (again) by Jon Skeet.
- Diagnosing a corner-case tooling bug by Jon Skeet.
- Diagnosing a single slow test by Jon Skeet.
- How Visual Studio’s Private Gallery Helps Us Create a Better Product by Mark Miller & Alex Zakharov (DevExpress).
- UI thread responds to messages even though it is blocked by message box by Vaibhav Gawali.
- Code therapy brought to you this week by .Net Core 2 by Michael James.
- Demystifying .NET Standard by David Pine.
- How to fix poor project structure using convention based installation by Faesel Saeed.
- Json.net also tricked me by Michał Komorowski.
- Introduction to ActiveReports Server’s new Web Designer (8/23 webinar) by Bhupesh Malhotra.
- MemAnalyzer v2.5 Released by Alois Kraus.
- The SDK ‘Microsoft.Net.Sdk.Web’ specified could not be found by Andrew Lock.
- Running and debugging a .NET project in Rider by Maarten Balliauw.
- What’s Nu in NuGet with Visual Studio 2017 version 15.3? by Anand Gaurav.
- Using bearer tokens in ASP.NET Core by Gunnar Peipman.
- Design Patterns: Asp.Net Core Web API, services, and repositories | Part 3: Models, Controllers and the ClansController and Part 4: Services and the ClanService by Carl-Hugo Marcotte.
- ASP.NET Core – Best practices (tips and tricks) – an opinionated approach – Part 1 and Part 2 by Ibrahim Šuta.
- Dependency Injection in action filters in ASP.NET Core by Paul Hiles.
- Fixing the Duplicate Content Error after Upgrading Visual Studio 2017 by Daniel Crabtree.
- Enter the HTML Form by Jon Hilton.
- Two AuthorizationSchemes in ASP.NET Core 2 by Shawn Wildermuth.
- Send ETag headers in ASP.NET Core by Mads Torgersen.
- ASP.NET Core Demystified – Action Results by Matthew Jones.
- ASP.NET Performance Monitoring: A Developer’s How to Guide by Matt Watson.
- ASP.NET Razor Pages vs MVC: How Do Razor Pages Fit in Your Toolbox? by Matt Watson.
- ASP.NET Core – request serialization issues after migration from classic WebApi by TPodolak.
- Testing an ASP.NET Core application using TestServer by Gérald Barré.
- Implementing concurrent requests limit in ASP.NET Core for fun and education by Tomasz Pęczek.
- A Preview of C# 8 by Mads Torgersen.
- Roslynator for VS 2017 by Steve Smith.
- Practical C# – How to configure the C# language version in Visual Studio 2017 projects by Andrea Angella.
- Using C# 7.1 Features by Jason Roberts.
- Func, Action And Local Function in C# by Sandeep Shekhawat.
- Exception filters in C# 6.0 by Vaibhav Gawali.
- Observations from code reviews and why they are important by Vaibhav Gawali.
- Specify the C# Version to use in your Projects by Derek Comartin.
- Practical C# – Sequence Equality (video) by Andrea Angella.
- Fabled F# Maze by Andy Hutchinson.
- F# Xunit with .NET Core 2.0, VsCode and Ionide – Run all tests with keyboard shortcut by Tom Prior.
- Solving a problem: Segment Intersection by Alex Netkachov.
- Why we use fsharp data in production by Clément Boudereau.
- Building a Voice-Driven TV Remote – Part 8: Tracking Performance with Application Insights by Greg Shackles.
- Let’s write "let" in F# by Michael Gilliland.
- Microsoft Reiterates its Support of F# by Pierre-Luc Maheu via InfoQ.
There is more content available this week in F# Weekly. If you want to see more F# awesomeness, please check it out!
- New for Visual Basic: .NET Standard Class Libraries and the dotnet CLI! by Anthony D. Green.
- Monitor your Xamarin Forms application with Mobile Center by Pam Lahoud.
- Azure Functions for Mobile Apps with Donna Malayeri by The Xamarin Show.
- Looking Ahead to Xamarin.Forms 3.0 by Greg Shackles.
- Xamarin.Mac and netstandard2 by Chris Hamons.
- Implementing Localization with Xamarin.Forms using Resx files by Bryan Anthony Garcia.
- Embeddinating .NET Everywhere with Jonathan Peppers by Gone Mobile Podcast.
- LiveXAML and Xamarin.Forms by Tomasz Cielecki.
- Adding Storage to Mobile Apps with OneDrive for Business by Mayur Tendulkar.
- Live Webinar: Take your .NET Skills from the Desktop to Android and iOS by Mark Smith.
- Payit Brings Peer-to-Peer Payments to Mexico with Mobile DevOps and the Cloud by Lacey Butler.
- Xamarin Podcast: Contributing to Xamarin.Forms, C# 7, Input Validation, Android’s BottomNavigationView, and more! by Pierce Boggan.
- Creating The Instagram UI In Xamarin.Forms by Adam Pedley.
- Get Element Properties In UITest In Xamarin by Adam Pedley.
- Improving Xamarin.Forms Startup Performance by Adam Pedley.
- Using The Linker In Xamarin Projects by Adam Pedley.
- Multilingual (Localization) Plugin for Xamarin and Windows by Charlin Agramonte.
- Architecting Distributed Cloud Applications (video series) by Jeffrey Richter.
- Introducing Proactive Auto Heal by Jennifer Lee.
- Scaling Azure Functions with Durable Functions by Build Azure.
- Yet Another Podcast #173 – Jeremy Likness on Azure by Jesse Liberty.
- Azure for .NET Developers – Use Keyboard Shortcuts in the Azure Portal by Michael Crump.
- Creating Precompiled Azure Functions with Visual Studio 2017 by Jason Roberts.
- The Monsters Weekly – Episode 104 – Deploy Virtual Applications in Azure App Service by ASP.NET Monsters.
- Azure Service Bus .NET Standard Client Generally Available by Justin Conway.
- Integrating Azure AD into an ASP.NET Core web app by Jean-Marc Prieur.
- Authorization in a web app using Azure AD application roles & role claims by Jean-Marc Prieur.
- Windows 10 IoT, UWP, Raspberry Pi and Text-to-Speech by Greg Duncan.
- #Hololens – Goodbye #HoloToolkit, now it’s time for #MixedRealityToolkit for Unity! by elbruno.
- Text-To-Speech with Windows 10 IoT Core & UWP on Raspberry Pi Part 2 by Andrej Tozon.
- Creating a ‘Continue Watching’ experience using Project Rome in UWP by PieEatingNinjas.
- EntityFramework Core – Add an implementation of IDesignTimeDbContextFactory by Ibrahim Šuta.
- Global query filters in Entity Framework Core 2.0 by Gunnar Peipman.
- Like-operator in Entity Framework Core 2.0 by Gunnar Peipman.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter, the gaming section by Stacey Haffner, the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby, and the Azure and UWP section by Michael Crump.
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET? We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts. Please add your posts, it takes only a second.
We pick the articles based on the following criteria: the posts must be about .NET, they must have been published this week, and they must be original contents. Publication in Week in .NET is not an endorsement from Microsoft or the authors of this post.