Top stories from the VSTS community – 2018.01.05
Here are top stories we found in our streams this week related to DevOps, VSTS, TFS and other interesting topics.
- Tag your GitHub source code in VSTS pipeline – Mikael Krief
To allow me to tag my GitHub source code I developed and published an extension in the Visual Studio Marketplace, which through a build/release task will tag my source code.
- The discussion of complex increases in complexity – David Corbin
Back in October, I wrote Is Your Software Complex. This has prompted a number of discussions in multiple venues, so it seems a good idea to look at the term “Complex” in a bit more detail.
- NuGet Package Management in VSTS – Subodh Sohoni
NuGet can be used to create, distribute and consume packages. Learn how to do NuGet Package Management in Visual Studio Team System.
- Tips and Tricks for Complex IaaS Deployments Using VSTS Deployment Groups – Colin Dembovsky
Using Azure ARM templates and VSTS Release Management with Deployment Groups, we were able to show how we could spin up the entire environment in just under two hours. That’s a 50x improvement in lead time!
- Script to Delete All Workspaces of a Computer from TFS – Chaminda Chandrasekara
If you ever come across a situation where you want to remove all Team Foundation Version Control (TFVC) workspaces from TFS for a given machine, considering all collections and all users, the script available here will help you to do that.
- Moving Application Insights resources between subscriptions in Azure – Gordon Beeming
There is documentation available for Move resources to new resource group or subscription but things are easier to do with exact sample code so here it goes.
- Orlando Codecamp 2018! – Esteban Garcia
The 13th annual Orlando Codecamp will take place on March 17th at Seminole State College. This is a free all-day event with sessions ranging from beginner to advanced.
- Effective TFVC branching strategies for DevOps – Fabio Stawinski
This video is a hands-on based on the article Effective TFVC branching strategies for DevOps (link above), and it shows a good model for being used in TFVC when you want to implement CI/CD scenarios..
- Special Microsoft Connect() edition – Artificial intelligence, DevOps, and cross-platform development were all on display at the Microsoft Connect(); 2017 event in November. This special issue of MSDN Magazine explores the tools, technologies and techniques highlighted at the conference. – Michael Desmond (Editor)
- January 2018 – It’s been a challenge since forever. How do you unlock the data created in and captured by productivity applications like Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint, and how do you link up and imbue that data with context, so it can be intelligently interpreted, leveraged and consumed? It’s a question that Microsoft has worked hard to answer, in the form of Microsoft Graph. – Michael Desmond (Editor)
TIP: If you want to get your VSTS news in audio form then be sure to subscribe to RadioTFS .
What do you think? How could we do this series better?
Here are some ways to connect with us:
- Add a comment below
- Use the #VSTS hashtag if you have articles you would like to see included