Microsoft Test Manager stuck in “waiting for test controller” state
This is guest post by Deepak Mittal, who is Senior Support Engineer in this space.
Microsoft Test Manager is stuck in “waiting for test controller” status after completion of test execution.
- After completion of the test execution, please click on “refresh” on the screen, it will update the status to completed. This is by-design, status does not get updated automatically in MTM 2010.
- In case even after clicking on “refresh”, status does not updated, then there is some problem, to troubleshoot that, try below action plans:
- Enable MTM and Test Controller tracing:
Test Controller tracing: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aseemb/archive/2009/11/28/how-to-enable-test-controller-logs.aspx
- Review the logs for MTM and Test Controller. These logs should point you to the error.
- Some hints to resolve this issue:
- Review this MSDN article, make sure all the settings are intact.
- Test Controller service account should have read permission on build drop location.
- Ensure the Test Controller and the Test Agents are in ready state.
- Add QTController.exe on controller machine, QTAgent32 .exe on agent machines in firewall exceptions.
- Test Controller service account has “view test run” permission on the team project for which test was executed.
Side note: You may notice the same kind of behavior for status bar on test run screen (which shows tests in progress, failed, passed) that it does not update the status of tests execution, you may need to click on refresh manually to get this updated.