Official Rules for the 2012 Scripting Games Challenge
Summary: The official rules for the 2012 Scripting Games challenge announce the rules and the prizes to be awarded. Microsoft 2012 Scripting Games Official Rules—No purchase necessary. Note: It is your sole responsibility to review and understand your employer’s policies regarding your eligibility to participate in trade promotions. If you are participating in violation of your employer’s policies, you may be disqualified from entering or receiving prizes. Microsoft disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between an employee and their employer related to this matter, and prizes will only be awarded in compliance with the employer’s policies. This Challenge is hosted in the United States, and entry information is collected on computers in the United States. This Challenge will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Challenge. If you do not agree with this provision and these Official Rules, please do not enter this Challenge. COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES: These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft 2012 Scripting Games Challenge promotion will operate. This promotion will be simply referred to as the “Challenge” throughout the rest of these rules. The Challenge consists of a skill based contest (“Contest”) and daily and Grand Prize random drawing sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes”). In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of the Challenge. “You” refers to an eligible Challenge entrant. WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES? This Challenge starts at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on April 2, 2012, and ends at 11:59 PM PT on April 13, 2012 (“Entry Period”). The Entry Period contains 10 separate Daily Prize Periods. Each Daily Prize Period will begin at 12:01 AM PT and end at 11:59 PM PT on each weekday (Monday – Friday) during the Entry Period. Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible. CAN I ENTER? You are eligible to enter this Challenge if you meet the following requirements at time of entry: You are a professional in the field of IT / software research, sales or development and; You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
If you are 18 of age or older, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this Contest. This Challenge is void outside of the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law. HOW DO I ENTER? The Challenge consists of a skill contest (“Scripting Contest”) and ten (10) daily Sweepstakes drawings. To enter the Scripting Contest, you must visit http://2012sg.poshcode.org/Auth/LogOn website and following instructions for new members to register for the Scripting Contest or for existing members to login to the website. When you are successfully logged in, follow instructions to successfully complete the 10 daily task-based scenarios that make up the “2012 Scripting Games.” You will receive one Sweepstakes entry into each Daily Prize Period during which you submit a 2012 Scripting Games entry. Limit one (1) Daily Prize Period entry per day, regardless of the number of 2012 Scripting Games entries that you submit each day. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason. We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WINNER SELECTION At the close of the Entry Period, the entrant who achieved the highest scoring entry in each 2012 Scripting Games category (Beginner and Advanced) based on the judging criteria set forth here, will win the Contest prize described below. At the close of each Daily Prize Period, will randomly select ten (10) winners from among all eligible entries received that day, to receive a daily prize described below. Non-winning entries will not be carried forward into subsequent daily prize drawings. PRIZES 2 Contest Prizes:
- A Tech·Ed 2012 North America full conference pass (Approximate Retail Value , ARV, $2,195). Prize consists of the pass only; all other associated travel or other expenses are the sole responsibility of the winner.
- A phone discussion with Distinguished Microsoft Engineer Jeffrey Snover.
129 Daily Prizes: Two of the following items (1 Beginner, 1 Advanced) will be awarded each day. The assignment of prizes will be determined by Microsoft and announced each day.
- (1) Voucher toward in-class training of 3 or more days with up to 12 students, or toward a 1-day online class with up to 8 students from Don Jones and Concentrated Technology (ARV $750 )
- (1) PrimalScript 2011 Universal from SAPIEN Technologies (ARV $999)
- (2) PrimalScript 2011 Studio from SAPIEN Technologies (ARV $599)
- (2) PrimalForms 2011 from SAPIEN Technologies (ARV $299)
- (2) PowerShell Video Training Set from SAPIEN Technologies (ARV $99)
- (3) Windows PowerShell 2.0:TFM ebook from SAPIEN Technologies (ARV $34.99)
- (5) PowerShell Plus Professional Edition version 4.0 from Idera (ARV $199)
- (2) PowerWF from Devfarm Software (ARV $499)
- (1) PowerShell Video Library from Interface Technical Training (ARV $500)
- (50) ebooks from O’Reilly Media (ARV $20.00)
- (50) ebooks from Manning (ARV $40.00)
- (10) Amazon Gift ecard from BeyondTrust (ARV $50.00)
We will only award one Contest Prize, and one Daily Prize per person during the Entry Period. If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within fourteen (14) days following the random drawing. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate, randomly selected winner. If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Challenge. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select an alternate, randomly selected winner. If you are confirmed as a winner of this Challenge: You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner; and If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and If you are otherwise eligible for this Challenge, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions. WHAT ARE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING? Your odds of winning this Challenge depend on the number of eligible entries we receive. WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS ARE YOU AGREEING TO BY ENTERING THIS CHALLENGE? By entering this Challenge you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft, and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Challenge or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Challenge; and
- That by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Challenge, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CHALLENGE IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED? This Challenge will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Challenge. WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CHALLENGE CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED? If cheating, a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and/or integrity of this Challenge, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Challenge. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Challenge, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Challenge. If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Challenge by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Challenge, so please play fairly. HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT WHO WON? We will post the names of winners who received a prize worth $25.00 or more at http://blogs.technet.com/heyscriptingguy. This list will remain posted one month after April 13, 2012. WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CHALLENGE?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052