2012 Scripting Games Beginner Event 8: Is Computer Desktop or Laptop?
Summary: In Beginner Event 8, you are required to determine if a computer is a desktop computer or a laptop computer.
About this event
Date of Event
4/11/2012 12:01 AM
4/18/2012 12:01 AM
You are the desktop manager at a midsized enterprise company. It is inventory time, and you need to get a count of the number of laptop computers and the number of desktop computers. You decide to write a Windows PowerShell script that will count the number of desktop computers and the number of laptop computers on the network. To permit auditing, your report should include the computer name, and whether or not it is a desktop or a laptop machine.
- For the purposes of this scenario, your script only needs to write to the console.
- Your script only needs to determine laptop or desktop from a hardware perspective. You do not need to determine the version of the operating system.
- Your code only needs to run on a local computer.
- If your code requires admin rights, you should detect if the code is running as an admin or as a standard user. If your code works without requiring admin rights, you do not need to make this check.
- Extra points for writing a simple function that only returns a Boolean value.
2012 Scripting Games links
I invite you to follow me on Twitter and Facebook. If you have any questions, send email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or post your questions on the Official Scripting Guys Forum. Good luck as you compete in this year’s Scripting Games. We wish you well.
Ed Wilson, Microsoft Scripting Guy