2012 Scripting Games Beginner Event 2: Find Stoppable Running Services
Summary: In Beginner Event 2, you have to find stoppable running services.
About this event
Date of Event
4/3/2012 12:01 AM
4/10/2012 12:01 AM
You are a server administrator for a medium-sized enterprise company. Your boss wants you to write a Windows PowerShell script to shut down servers across the network. Instead of simply shutting down the servers, he wants you to investigate a more controlled shut down of services prior to actually shutting down the server.
As a first step in this process, you need to find all services that are running that will actually accept a Stop command. You need to run this command remotely against trusted computers that have the appropriate ports open through their firewalls, so your command must work against remote computers.
An appropriate output is shown in the following image.
- For the purposes of this exercise, you do not need to have a second computer against which to run.
- For the purposes of this exercise, you do not need to test firewall connections, nor do you need to configure the firewall. Assume that the appropriate ports are opened.
- Use the simplest command that will work. You do not need to write an entire script.
- Display the output to the screen; you do not need to write to a text file.
- It is permissible to use standard aliases (if any exist). It is NOT permissible to use non-standard aliases that do not exist without special configuration.
2012 Scripting Games links
I invite you to follow me on Twitter and Facebook. If you have any questions, send email to me at email@example.com, or post your questions on the Official Scripting Guys Forum. Good luck as you compete in this year’s Scripting Games. We wish you well.
Ed Wilson, Microsoft Scripting Guy