2012 Scripting Games Advanced Event 9: Perform an Inventory
Summary: In Advanced Event 9, you are required to perform a hardware inventory and write the information to an XML file.
About this event
Date of Event
4/12/2012 12:01 AM
4/19/2012 12:01 AM
You are a network manager at a medium-sized organization, and it is time to perform an inventory of computers on the network. You need to collect the following information: computer name, domain name, computer manufacturer, computer model, number of processors, number of cores, speed of processors, processor ID, MAC address of the primary network interface, operating system version (including service pack level), and the amount of physical memory that is installed (displayed in the most logical units). Your output should be stored in an XML-formatted file in the Documents special folder. The file name should be the Computername (including domain name) and the date in year, month, day format.
There are several requirements for this scenario:
- Obtaining the information.
- Storing the output in XML format.
- Creating the file in a specific location
- Creating the file name in the specific fashion, for example:
- Because the script will run locally on the computer, it does not need the ability to run against remote computers.
- Extra points for adding error handling for missing properties
2012 Scripting Games links
2012 Scripting Games: All Links on One Page
I invite you to follow me on Twitter and Facebook. If you have any questions, send email to me at email@example.com, or post your questions on the Official Scripting Guys Forum. Good luck as you compete in this year’s Scripting Games. We wish you well.
Ed Wilson, Microsoft Scripting Guy