2012 Scripting Games Advanced Event 2: Find Information about Remote and Local Services
Summary: In Advanced Event 2, you must find information about remote and local services.
About this event
Date of Event
4/3/2012 12:01 AM
4/10/2012 12:01 AM
You are a server administrator for a medium-sized enterprise company. Your boss has tasked you with finding the way that all services on all servers start. You need to present your findings in a spreadsheet that includes the following information:
- The server name
- The service name
- The start mode of the service
- The user account used to start the service
- The current status of the service
An acceptable output for this task is shown in the following image.
- You should use the easiest method possible to display the information in a spreadsheet.
- You must include the ability to run the script both on a local computer and on a remote computer.
- You must include the ability to run the script with alternate credentials when operating against a remote computer—you should impersonate the logged on user when running locally.
- You do not need to add comment-based Help for this scenario, but additional points are awarded if you do include appropriate comment-based Help, such as a description, examples, and parameters.
- If the script requires administrative rights to run, you should check to ensure that the script is running with admin rights. If those rights are not present, you should display an appropriate message and exit.
- For the purpose of THIS exercise, do not write a module. You should make your script stand completely alone, with NO external dependencies. Therefore, EVERYTHING this script needs should be put in this script. Failure to do so will cost you points.
2012 Scripting Games links
I invite you to follow me on Twitter and Facebook. If you have any questions, send email to me at email@example.com, or post your questions on the Official Scripting Guys Forum. Good luck as you compete in this year’s Scripting Games. We wish you well.
Ed Wilson, Microsoft Scripting Guy