2010 Scripting Games: Advanced Event 3–Creating Text Files for Class Note-Taking
Note: We are no longer accepting entries for this event. See the due dates page for a list of all event due dates.
About This Event
Date of Event
April 28, 2010
May 5, 2010
You need to create text files in a folder off the root, such as c:fso. The text files are named after the class a student is taking, and the numerical year, month, and day. The text files will be used as templates a student can use to take notes in class. The contents of one of the files is seen in the following image.
The six classes being taken are: Shakespeare, World Literature, Calculus 2, Physics, Music Appreciation, and American Literature Since 1850.
· Each file name is made up of the date and the class name.
· Each file should include the class name and the date listed inside the file.
· Your script should allow the user to choose the folder in which the files are created.
· Your script should check to see if the folder exists and create the folder if it does not exist.
· Extra design points awarded if the script allows for multiple weeks’ worth of files and automatically calculates the new file names.
· Extra design points awarded if the script permits the student to supply an array of class names and therefore override the default class names.
· Extra design points awarded if the script stores the current class names in the registry, and permits default class names or allows for an updated registry key to store new defaults.
· Style points awarded if the script uses a GUI to permit selecting the target folder.
2010 Scripting Games Links
Ed Wilson and Craig Liebendorfer, Scripting Guys