2010 Scripting Games: Advanced Event 10–Moving Files from the Desktop to a Folder
Note: We are no longer accepting entries for this event. See the due dates page for a list of all event due dates.
About This Event
Date of Event
May 7, 2010
May 14, 2010
The network team manager complained to the desktop team manager that user profiles are too large and are therefore killing network performance. An investigation has revealed that users are in the habit of downloading pictures, videos, and other large files from the Internet and storing them on their desktops. This habit has created user profiles that are in some cases over one GB in size.
Your manager has tasked you with writing a script that will move all files from the desktop to a folder such as c:fso that is not part of the user’s profile. Shortcut files, of course, are not to be moved.
· Your script needs to run only on a local machine.
· The user should be prompted with a message stating which files will be moved and where. The user must agree to the move by clicking Yes.
· The destination folder should be configurable; if the folder does not exist, it should be created.
· Extra design points will be awarded if a selectable file filter mask is implemented. For example, allow the user to select to move .mp3 and .doc files, but not .xls files.
· Style points will be awarded for the presentation of a GUI to select the destination folder.
· Style points will be awarded for the presentation of a progress bar or other visual progress indicator.
2010 Scripting Games Links
Ed Wilson and Craig Liebendorfer, Scripting Guys