Announcing preview of Dynamic Data provider and EntityDataSource control for Entity Framework 6
Today, we are pleased to announce an update to ASP.NET DynamicData and EntityDataSource control, so that they work with Entity Framework 6.
What’s in this preview
– DynamicData provider for Entity Framework 6
– EntityDataSource control for Entity Framework 6
How to install this preview
You can download this preview for ASP.NET DynamicData.EFProvider (http://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.AspNet.DynamicData.EFProvider/) and EntityDataSource (http://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.AspNet.EntityDataSource/) as preview NuGet packages from the NuGet gallery. You can install these pre-release packages through NuGet using the NuGet Package Manager Console, like this:
- Install-Package Microsoft.AspNet.DynamicData.EFProvider -Version 6.0.0-alpha1 –Pre
- Install-Package Microsoft.AspNet.EntityDataSource -Version 6.0.0-alpha1 –Pre
This package has a DynamicData EFProvider for EntityFramework 6. This provider can work with a Model (either Code First or Model First) which was created using Entity Framework 6. This package also installs the Page Templates, Entity Templates and Field Templates which are required for DynamicData. The templates have been updated to use Microsoft.AspNet.EntityDataSource control which we are also previewing today as well.
For more information on ASP.NET DynamicData please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc488545.aspx
Following are the steps for using this package in a ASP.NET DynamicData application:
- Create a new ASP.NET Dynamic Data Entities Web Application
- Add the Microsoft.AspNet.DynamicData.EFProvider NuGet package
- This will do the following
- Add a reference to the DynamicData EFProvider binary
- Install the templates. If you are starting with a new project, then you can override the templates. If you have an existing application, then you should be careful when overriding the changes. The templates replace the EntityDataSource control which shipped in .NET with Microsoft.AspNet.EntityDataSource and also have a few bug fixes in the Many-Many field template so they work with EntityFramework 6.
- Create your model using Entity Framework Code First or EF Designer.
- Add the following code in RegisterRoutes in Global.asax.cs to register your EF Model:
- Run the project
- You would see all the tables listed on the Default page.
This is an update to the EntityDataSource control which shipped in the .NET Framework. The EntityDataSource control has been updated to work with Entity Framework 6.
To use this control, please do the following
- Create an ASP.NET application
- Install the package Microsoft.AspNet.EntityDataSource
- This package will
- install the runtime binary for Microsoft.AspNet.EntityDataSource
- Install the EntityFramework version 6 NuGet package
- Add the following tag prefix in web.config
- Create a new Web Form page
- Use the control as follows and bind it to any Databound control such as GridView, FormView etc.
- The templates in Microsoft.AspNet.DynamicData.EFProvider are for C# only.
- The templates in Microsoft.AspNet.DynamicData.EFProvider are for Web Application projects only and will not work for WebSites projects.
If you find any issues with this preview, please file issues at the EntityFramework CodePlex site https://entityframework.codeplex.com
Thank you for trying out the preview and helping us make it better.